ATX Community

Correct a corrected 1099

Margaret CPA in OH

So a client sent me figures for 1099 MISC.  4 days later a subsequent email was $20,000 higher for one recipient.  I prepared corrected one and sent copy.  Client has now asked why the corrected higher amount.  I copied and pasted her second email in reply and got back a 'sorry about that typo.'  Sooooo, is it appropriate to correct a corrected 1099 back to the original amount?  Grrrr.... Who gets the low grade on this?

Ah, if only my foot could reach that far!

So to correct an efiled 1099, one must, as I did, open the original 1099 and check the corrected box.  I don't see a corrected corrected box.  Should I just resend the original one with the old numbers in it? No, can't do that as it has already been accepted. Maybe try to create a new one altogether?  I did try that before but because all the information (EIN, SSN, etc.) was the same as one already efiled, I was scolded by the system to correct it on the originally efiled return.  Any ideas on how to create another corrected box on top!

Sigh... time to pack it in, I swear!  And I just got off the phone with my rep and am really annoyed to have to spend money for MAX because I have 6 trusts and 2 pships which would be extra and then there is the payroll package and 'small' efile fee now plus Ohio cities package.  At least I had a nice week in the mountains last week.  Should have stayed!

• Like 2

Same here. Still preparing 1099's on paper, even for my client who issues over 200 of them each year.  Hope he never hits 250. 

But then I'm paper-bound anyhow since I'm still preparing  Form 1040 on paper.

(Notice I said I'm "preparing" these returns, not "filing" them.  The only return I FILE is my own. )

• Like 2

Sigh... time to pack it in, I swear!  And I just got off the phone with my rep and am really annoyed to have to spend money for MAX because I have 6 trusts and 2 pships which would be extra and then there is the payroll package and 'small' efile fee now plus Ohio cities package.  At least I had a nice week in the mountains last week.  Should have stayed!

​I consider the Ohio Cities package a huge waste of money.  It used to be part of the program, then CCH peeled it out as a cash cow.  You can easily live without it.

I know and agree with all the positive aspects of efile, but there really is something satisfying about a neat, properly compiled paper return, isn't there?  

Yes, it has a neat appearance and it is also a neat concept.  Mainly because it carries considerably less risk for the preparer and leaves the resppnsiblity where it poperly belongs.  I have no responsiblity for filing - that's the client's job. 

• Like 1

Hey, the brokerage firms do corrected corrected 1099s all the time.  might want to put a date on it somewhere.

​Boy, do they ever!  Hey, Margaret, I have paper 1099-Misc forms and 1096s and would be happy to mail them to you if you think that would be the solution.  I kinda do.  You can send me your mailing address in a personal message if you like.  Will mail them out lickity split.