ATX Community

Has anyone been having this happen?

AnnieR

Last week, one of my e-f clients called and asked when her son's refund would be deposited. He had checked with the bank on Friday (the 8th) and it wasn't in the account. Went to "Where's my refund" and the deposit date given was the 12th, a Tuesday. Today another client called, her return was accepted on the 12th, no deposit yet, (coulda, woulda, shoulda been the 22), and the date given her on the Where's my Refund is March 4. When did the IRS start depositing on Tuesday? And how did they get behind...I know, no date is guaranteed!!

AnnieR

That happened to at least one client that I know of. This client had nothing unusual and has efiled for years with no problem. His was scheduled for a Tuesday, also. I always tell my clients the date is not guaranteed, the IRS can hold it up for any or no reason, do not spend the money until they see it in their account.

This is good information to know....thanks for sharing.

I am going to start sharing this cavaet with my clients, because I have been eFiling since the first year it was available, and my clients are accustomed to their money being there "on schedule" and in all these years I have only had one IRS refund not come on the date scheduled. And that was due to a problem with HOH.

Yay for this forum!

I also had one that according to IRS schedule (not a guarantee) should have been deposited today. Earlier this week I checked the status and it moved to Tuesday the 26th. This morning I checked and now it has been moved again to March 4th.

I don't know what has happened either, except I can say that it did happen a couple of times last year as well. If IRS workflow is anything like mine I have done the majority of my expected clientel between January 15th and February 15th this year. I'm well over half way through my expected. So if I've been that busy, perhaps IRS has been as well and just can't keep up with the flow.

Deb!

I have inserted the following text into my client letter since the first year we began to e-file (I always use the week closest to 4/15 as my example):

Typically, Federal e-file's with a refund that are accepted by the IRS by noon on Thursday are electronically deposited the following Friday (i.e. received Thu 4/10 noon, deposited Fri 4/18); paper checks mailed one week after that (i.e. Fri 4/25). IRS publication 2043 states "the IRS does not guarantee a specific date that a refund will be deposited into a taxpayer's finanical institution account or mailed". Our experience has been that the anticipated cycle is usually met.