ATX Community

Dependent social security number used on another return

Tax Prep by Deb

Besides paper filing the return, is there anything else that should be done when a return is rejected because a dependents social security number has already been used on another persons return?

My clients adopted this little girl 3 years ago.  Her social security number was the same that was originally issued, but did undergo a name change.  No one has bothered this until now.  First time rejected but third year filed.

I know if it was the mom and dad's number already used we could do the fraud stuff, but what protection does the dependent have?  Mom and dad are filing jointly and the little girl is only 4 so she didn't file a tax return herself.

Any suggestions?

My understanding is that children's SS numbers fetch a lot more money on the underground websites than adults' numbers because they are useful for much longer.  Someone opens a credit card under your name and number and you'll find out about it when you apply for a car loan and learn your credit is shot.  A four year old isn't going to apply for a car loan or credit card for 15 years.  Sounds like this crook got greedy and filed a tax return with that valuable info, ruining his or her chances of getting a mortgage, credit, health insurance, a job using the victim's info for years to come.  Agree, your only choice is to file a paper return.  Hopefully the ID theft unit will contact the taxpayer (someday).  The parents should file a police report and a complaint with the FTC like adult victims of ID theft are supposed to.

• Like 3