ATX Community

Previous Rental Loss Carryforward for Sale of House

David

TP purchased a rental property in 2004 and rented through 2011. From 2012 - 2014 she tried selling the property and used it occasionally for vacations.

She sold the property in early 2014. There is a remaining rental loss carry forward. Isn't she allowed to take this loss carry forward to offset the gain and the depreciation recapture? If so, is this reported as an increase in the adjusted basis? 

Thanks.

TP purchased a rental property in 2004 and rented through 2011. From 2012 - 2014 she tried selling the property and used it occasionally for vacations.

She sold the property in early 2014. There is a remaining rental loss carry forward. Isn't she allowed to take this loss carry forward to offset the gain and the depreciation recapture? If so, is this reported as an increase in the adjusted basis? 

Thanks.

Yes

I disagree.  The Forms 4797 and 8949 will show the usual sales price, depreciation, basis info.  That info carries to Sch D. Sch D Part II is where you subtract the long-term carryover loss.  Be sure to mark in the program that this is a total disposition so the carryover is freed up and becomes usable.  The exception is when the disallowed losses are because of at-risk limitations.  Your client cannot deduct losses in excess of her investment in the property (the amount she had "at risk").

Someone told me that since she was using it as a second home or investment property since 2012, that she is not allowed to take the loss carry forward that was generated from the rental period. She could only offset passive income with the loss carry forward.

I don't see where that person is getting that information. I thought that the loss carry forward would be able to be taken when the property sold, no matter how the property was used after the rental period.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

If the property was sold to an unrelated party, prior passive activity losses are allowed in full (unless there are basis limitations). They can offset nonpassive income.  Plug the numbers into the program and see how it comes out.  Return here to verify the result.

OK, the suspended loss wound up on Sch E and the sale showing the gain along with the depreciation previously taken were reported on 4797 and Sch D.

Hopefully, this is how it should be reported.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 5

See, the program agrees with the IRC!  Not being sarcastic here.  Sometimes when you get into these esoteric situations you can't be completely confident in the software and have to check the law, as David did.  We've all had cases where we knew how something was supposed to play out on a tax return but had to spend frustrating hours trying to convince the program.  Other times you wonder what the software did and have to look up the rules.  Nice to have this board to bounce these things around.

I have clients who have a "rental" home in a warm climate.  The supposedly rent it out for a few weeks a year and get "income" of $3500 or so.  They visit for a couple of weeks over the Christmas holidays and again for a month in Feb for "maintenance and repairs."  Yeah, right.  They make way too much to qualify for any of the $25k active participation rental tax break so by now have a few hundred grand in suspended losses.  Way more than their basis, so you have to wonder why they keep tempting fate and adding thousands in deductions year after year.  Too bad the IRS doesn't have many auditors anymore.