ATX Community

Scan & Populate

sfsd315

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Scan & Populate programs with the ATX program?  What is the accuracy rate and is it worth the additional cost?

It appears from my research that the more popular ones are SurePrep & Gruntworx and that both are cloud-based. I would prefer a local desktop program, but would consider cloud-based if there are no other options and the benefits are measurable. 

I see that ProSystem fx also has a Scan program, but it doesn't mention compatibility with ATX.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Try to get demos of the programs to try with your tax prep software.  I have CCH's Scan & Flow.  Have done a lot of scanning/organizing but not much flowing (computer crash, scanner upgrade, laptop the program was on died, etc.).  Each year the program reads/recognizes more and better; scanning was never the problem.  An occasional is it a 6 or an 8 question, but it color codes it for me to check against the original document.  Do get a good quality scanner such as Fujitsu, as sometimes it's the light source in the scanner that's the weak spot and not the software.  You'll need to test how the programs compare when importing into your tax software.  And, how the cost compares to hiring a data entry clerk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

None of the programs work as they are advertised to do.

Save your money and continue entering as you have in the past.

I agree.  I scan for my own files.  But I enter the info.  I don't trust the accuracy, not to mention possible glitches it may cause.

• Like 1

I use Gruntworx organize (beautifully indexed pdf file) and trade (excel and csv files for trade data import - when there are more than a dozen or so to enter).  I tried the populate but found it took just as long to double-check the entries (which are good but NOT perfect) as it took to just enter the info myself.  

Scan with *at least* 300dpi resolution; more if you can stand the extra scanning time (both my scanners bog *way* down bumping up to 400dpi but between 200 and 300 there is no noticeable extra time) and you will get less of the 6/8/3 problems.  Although having documents not printed in 4-point font helps, too, and we have no control over that.

• Like 2