ATX Community

Purdue Univ - N/T

michaelmars

From a Purdue friend: Mountain Jacks is my personal favorite - it's a little pricey, and it's pretty far off campus, but the food is amazing!

Make sure you have your son eat in at least one of the school's cafeterias/dining halls/food courts. It's gotta feel like it could be his home for four years.

• Like 1

Another Purdue friend, this one a guy:   There's a couple chains like outback and Texas Roadhouse about 15 minutes off campus in Lafayette. Closer to campus there's a really good pub called nine Irish brothers that has a pretty good steak and some really good Irish pub food.

• Like 1

I googled it earlier today and the only two places are the ones you mentioned, [not a fan of chains]    The priciest steak on the  menu at Mountain Jacks was $33.  You know where I am located, you can barely get a burger for that price at Peter Lugar's. 

We definitely plan on eating at the dining halls but they might be closed when we arrive the first night.  

Thanks for the help

living in the mid-west does have its advantages.

MichaelMars - if your son is interested in engineering - he should look at Illinois. Tremendous engineering program especially electrical.

Friend's daughter is deciding between Purdue and Alabama. Here's what's odd - grades aren't good enough to get into Illinois - Alabama will give her a full-ride scholarship. Friend told me if she goes to Alabama for two years and then transfer anywhere she wants - they'll pay for her to get a masters. I suspect that will be her deciding factor.

Several SEC schools offer fantastic scholarship opportunities to lure in top students from out of state to boost up their academic rankings. Alabama, Arkansas and Ole' Miss are favorites in our area.

• Like 1

Engineering programs are very specific as I have been learning.  My son wants Mechanical Engineering.  A school ranked great for lets say Bioengineering might not be for Mechanical and visa versa.  He loved Purdue this weekend and has already been accepted.  We are waiting for Rochester and Georgia Institutes of Tech and Stevens. Michigan deferred decision.  Also money awards aren't announced yet for any of his schools.  So far he as 3 acceptances to I am not losing a son, I am gaining a pool room for sure.  [a lot of pressure gets relieved once you get your first acceptance and know you are going to college].  Purdue is topped ranked and if he goes onto ROTC also he gets instate tuition which saves like $25k per year but his allergies and asthma might keep him out of that.  

• Like 2