ATX Community

Payment for Participation in Drug Clinical Trial

Yardley CPA

Client received 1099 Misc - Non-Employee Compensation in the amount of $800.  Client informed me she was in a drug trial for a medical condition she has had for many years and the company paid her to participate.  Should this be placed on Line 21, Other Income or Schedule C?  I'm leaning toward Line 21 on this one.  Thoughts?

On ‎02‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, Possi said:

I don't think they will be looking for SE tax on that little ol' 1099, right Rita? I'd blow it in there and not be concerned.

I would not count on it. Save your client the anxiety and expense of receiving an IRS letter by reporting it as both income and expense on schedule C, and line 21 of course.

• Like 3

How about putting it on the C, adding about 1600 miles and throwing a loss against taxable income?

Just Kidding....but I would ask about the miles to go to and from the location, just in case I needed a contemporaneous mileage log in an IRS fight.  Sometimes, you do have to travel quite a ways to get to these locations, and it could be a medical miles situation.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 2