ATX Community

TN

Lion EA

So I do taxes for a little boy, TN resident, that his CT grandfather hired me to prepare because he's the investment banker that makes the money.  (Granddaughter might be over the filing threshold this year now also.)  Just been a couple of years, and I thought I was fine, e-filing and everything.  Now grandfather's daughter/boy's aunt told her dad about a dividend tax for residents of the State of Tennessee for amounts of $1,250 or more.  Grandfather just asked me if the grandkids are liable for the tax and if we have any penalties.  What did I do wrong?!  Auntie is also a TN resident and an editor/researcher and highly admired by her dad.  I think my stock just fell in his eyes.  And, I charged him peanuts because he's a loyal member of my husband's choir and takes us to the Met Opera annually.  Help!

Lion, while TN does not have a personal income tax that state does have a tax on interest and dividends over the magic threshold of $1,250.  In my software, ATX, the information flows directly from schedule B to the TN return.  The TN return may be e-filed and requires online payment via direct ppt debit.  I am certain your software will also support completing and filing this form. 

Lynn 

I've been filing a TN INC 250 for this little boy and his investment income.  But, grandfather says his daughter told him we need a Hall income tax return.  Is that the same as the TN INC 250?  Grandfather seems to think the Hall is something other than what we've been filing and is concerned about penalties for not filing.