ATX Community

Schedule C owner on the payroll

schirallicpa

5 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

I now have 3 sole proprietors who have put themselves on the payroll (because they have other employees).  I can't see any reason why except to force themselves to pay in tax.

Does anyone in the forum here have SP's on the payroll?

No, but I had one last week to have his secretary ask about doing it.  I told her, "No, he's not an employee.  And you know that unemployment tax he bitches about?  He'd be paying it on himself, too."  Shut the conversation right down.  I did tell her if she has to run copies of 1040-ES and send a check to IRS every week, IRS will gladly take them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

No, but I had one last week to have his secretary ask about doing it.  I told her, "No, he's not an employee.  And you know that unemployment tax he bitches about?  He'd be paying it on himself, too."  Shut the conversation right down.  I did tell her if she has to run copies of 1040-ES and send a check to IRS every week, IRS will gladly take them.

He could do a variation of this.  He can set up a personal EFTPS account and then pay his estimated tax payments at the same time he pays employee payroll tax deposits.  Diferent login, but the process is exactly the same. Plus he has a neat record of the transactions to give to his tax preparer at year-end.  :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, schirallicpa said:

some of these clients this year!  all I can think of is the Cheech and Chong skit - "hey - this looks like dog shit"

I'm crying.  If I say this to somebody, it's all your fault...  tears running down my face, I swear.

• Like 3