ATX Community

Windows Vista

MarquezTaxLady

Does anyone have any idea as to when ATX might have an update for Vista? I have emailed them several times and all I get is the Ole "Copy & Paste" answer to go to the knowlegebase about Vista. Of course I did that before I bought this new computer. It says it will be available the end of April. I am still waiting.

I would really like to use this fancy new machine to do taxes on and retire the old OLD one!! :blink:

And I do really like this forum. I miss the old ATX Community so much. I didn't post much but I really learned a lot and had a LOT of laughs!

Are you saying that ATX is not compatible with Vista? The knowledge base said that they would test it when it became official which it already has. I'm sure there are ATXers here that have the new operating system already. I haven't heard of any compatibility problems.

taxbilly

No it is NOT. I had bought Vista the end of March in my new laptop and it still won't update. I am going to try uninstall/reinstall this week and see what happens but so far I can't do anything with it. In the mean time I am using an old computer that I am not sure will last much longer. That is why I bought a new one!! :unsure:

Does anyone have any idea as to when ATX might have an update for Vista? I have emailed them several times and all I get is the Ole "Copy & Paste" answer to go to the knowlegebase about Vista. Of course I did that before I bought this new computer. It says it will be available the end of April. I am still waiting.

I would really like to use this fancy new machine to do taxes on and retire the old OLD one!! :blink:

And I do really like this forum. I miss the old ATX Community so much. I didn't post much but I really learned a lot and had a LOT of laughs!

Look for the search feature below and put in a search parameter of "Vista" without the quotes. You should get at least three threads...this one included. Vista seems to work for some but may be not for others.

Right after April 30, I installed Vista Ultimate on my computer where MAX by ATX was resident and working fine for tax season. It is still working fine with Vista. I have had no problems of any type with any year of MAX that I have had to use since installing Vista. I have had to amend some 2004 and create some 2005 and 2006 returns using MAX and everything went very well. Vista, just like Windows XP has a feature that if you want or need to get something to work as it did before that installation, you can right click on that program and select Properties. There you will see a Compatibility Tab. Click on that tab and tell Vista to run that program using a prior version of Windows. I've not had to do this for my ATX products, but for some reason you may need to do that. Again, I'm using Vista Ultimate, not Vista Business-if that makes any difference.

Wayne Brasch

mtlady - i am not yet in vista, but i believe tbilly (call atx support direct) and wbrasch offer good suggestions - esp wbrasch suggestion that vista properties offers an XP mode until vista (business &/or ultimate?) bugs are worked out.

I just got off the phone with ATX tech support re: Vista. They advised me not to purchase a new computer with VIsta as they are encountering many problems with the software. They further advised that there appears to be a comfort level for 2007 however 2006 & 2005 were having real problems with Vista.

In any event they will not support Vista for years prior to 2005 at all!

This didn't sound very encouraging.

I will most likely purchase a new computer with XP and an upgrade to Vista and monmitor thier progress in getting all years to work.

Mike Dubin CPA

I can't understand why ATX Tech Support is having a problem with MAX not working perfectly well with Vista if they are using the Ultimate version. I don't know whether or not the Business version works with MAX, but I do know that using the Ultimate version with MAX for 2004, 2005, and 2006 works perfectly with no delay or problems of any type on my computer.

Wayne Brasch

Wayne, I think it will probably work fine on most setups, but that they are just protecting themselves from those cases where someone's setup, for what ever reason, does not. In other words, it's a CYA statement, merely meaning that they are not going to go back and try to re-engineer any problems that might show up down the road, on the old programs. As mentioned several times, most of those should be fixable by merely using the built-in reverse compatibility of the platform. Just as we now, on XP, can run old DOS programs by selecting 'run as Win95' on the compatibility tab.

Personally I think the 'issues' with people getting NEW computers with Vista installed is actually with all the BUNDLED crap-ware that it seems every computer manufacturer insists on installing on the machine. How much of this crap-ware is actually 'designed' for Vista anyways? When the problems surface, they are hard to identify due to not knowing what is coming preinstalled with the computer, where the program works fine for one person and doesn't work for the next. Having worked in Technical support, I agree with the CYA comment, but it's also covering YOUR ass since if it doesn't work, it will be saving you headaches. Who here REALLY needs the features of Windows Vista anyways? Can you point out ONE strong argument for HAVING Vista beyond 'it's the lastest version'? Well, there's the support for XP argument, which is an artificial one as how many of you actually call Microsoft for technical support on the OS?

That being said, I just put in an order for some Windows Vista Business desktops and they will come with all that crapware installed. First thing I will be doing is going back to a fresh install without it and setting up the applications that I want, in the order that I have tested to work. (No, I won't be testing ATX's software, unfortunately.)

Actually, that is what we do with every new computer. Was fortunate enough to get new laptop in Jan before Vista and am very happy with it. I did qualify for and did receive Vista Premium Update, but, needless to say, will not be installing it. Too many issues and not only with ATX. Isn't this board just the tops? I love it!

Who here REALLY needs the features of Windows Vista anyways? Can you point out ONE strong argument for HAVING Vista beyond 'it's the lastest version'?

The only thing I have seen that makes me even want to consider one is the bit in the latest Popular Science about using the 'built-in' features of Vista that lets you use your computer as a sort of super TIVO. That bit about automatically eliminating ads when recording, for example. And that would be personal, not for the business.

Melvin,

I think that you and others will discover when you begin to use Windows Vista that that operating system will attempt to help you determine and resolve problems that may occur while using it. This has been true in my case using the Ultimate version. I don't know if the other versions do the same thing, but Ultimate does. It has analyzed problems within my computer system and has offered suggestions to resolve them.

Melvin,

I think that you and others will discover when you begin to use Windows Vista that that operating system will attempt to help you determine and resolve problems that may occur while using it. This has been true in my case using the Ultimate version. I don't know if the other versions do the same thing, but Ultimate does. It has analyzed problems within my computer system and has offered suggestions to resolve them.

I got a "geeky" teenager to demonstrate Vista Ultimate to me about 6 weeks ago, and he was showing me the error resolve feature. He said it was really good at fixing any problems that you had with Vista, and that XP did not have comparable feature. He then went on to say the problems that it fixed were all problems that he didn't have until he started using Vista. :lol:

I got a "geeky" teenager to demonstrate Vista Ultimate to me about 6 weeks ago, and he was showing me the error resolve feature. He said it was really good at fixing any problems that you had with Vista, and that XP did not have comparable feature. He then went on to say the problems that it fixed were all problems that he didn't have until he started using Vista. :lol:

OK, I'll stay out of the Vista discussions.

Wayne Brasch

Unfortunately, I am one of the people who HATE it when the OS tries to do things for me. I am also one of those people who hate system policies that set things like folder views to that dang ICON view. Anything that prevents me from doing things 'my way' or 'assumes' that I meant to do something else is a bad feature. They eat up CPU cycles to do things that I never wanted them to do in the first place. I do like the spell check as I type feature, that's just an exception.

But, for an inexperienced user, some of these features can be of great help. Unfortunately, every time I have come across it, it was because the user didn't understand what the computer was telling them and really messed up their systems by trying to follow the suggestions. Of course, that's my role, fix things that others have messed up, so if they did it correctly the first time, I never hear about it.

Wayne, some people will absolutely LOVE that feature. The problem is, that the troubleshooting is being based on OLD outdated knowlege, written when very little problems were known. Things change in a heartbeat in the computer world and I don't see this feature being useful beyond simple things. Maybe they can keep the info fresh, maybe they will integrate all the knowlegebase info and just maybe it will keep it's usefulness over time. We will see. But for now, hopefully I still will have a job to keep researching the wierd new problems.