ATX Community

I hate Pennsylvania returns

Abby Normal

I have several nonresident PA returns with dividends and capital gains distributions, none of which are taxable in PA. The only way I can get line 11 of PA Sch B to be zero is to make the reduction on line 4 high enough that line 6 is a negative in the exact amount of line 9.

It's ugly, and it doesn't seem right to me, but it works. Is there a better way?

Capture.JPG

I remember that was an annoying problem in ATX. I used to override the lines on the front of the PA-40 to remove any entries and would have to delete those forms that the program kept trying to add back in.  Since ATX got rid of most of the overrides, it is possible to code each of the entry to be Fed and resident state only?

Drake doesn't have this problem.

9 minutes ago, rfassett said:

Go to the "dividends" tab at the bottom of the A/B schedule, click on that and you will see "dividend income earned while a nonresident of PA".  Put your number in that box.  I believe that is what you are looking for.

Ah, yes, the old nightmares err, memories are coming back now. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rfassett said:

Go to the "dividends" tab at the bottom of the A/B schedule, click on that and you will see "dividend income earned while a nonresident of PA".  Put your number in that box.  I believe that is what you are looking for.

That's exactly what I did but that negative line just makes me cringe.

PA 40 used to be the easiest form ever.  For some reason over the past couple of years ATX has made it a mess.  It used to just put in the PA wages and be done.  Now it opens ever form under the sun that the Fed is using and putting in div and int and business and farm and everything else and you have to go thru and delete and override.  I agree.  It's a pain any more.  I wish ATX would go back and undo what they have done to it.

• Like 2