ATX Community

Rita, Can you come to CA to "hug" one of my (ex)clients

BulldogTom

One of our clients is a "Peggy Sue" hairdresser.  She has been with us for several years.  We used to do her bookkeeping, but a few years ago she wanted to do it herself.  It is always last minute now, and in 2013, she never got back to us with the figures for her tax return.  In 2014, we did 2013 and 2014 for her.  There was a question about the mileage during those 2 returns, which eventually got squared away.  This year, she gets to us on April 10th.  As usual, no income statement, just emails with the amounts that she says she earned from the business.  There is some back and forth.  We get to the last item on Saturday - mileage.  Send her a text asking How many miles?  We are on our way to have dinner with another client when she calls back.  Her answer "what did we do last year?"  We have to look.  The file is not in the car with us, but now the whole issue from last year gets brought up again.  She is upset, we are at dinner with another client, she is texting and calling.  When we take the call, she tells us she is not going to come back, just get her this year's return, and she expects us to amend last 2 years for free as well.

That is when I needed a "Rita Hug" for her. 

So after dinner, I try to call back.  Get her voicemail.  Leave a very polite message that we will not be completing her 2015 return, and we will file the extension which will give her plenty of time to find a new preparer.  We will be happy to provide any information from prior year returns to her new preparer, and we will look at 2013 & 2014 and if they need amendments, we will take care of them if we made an error.  Get back to the office and check the returns and they are fine.  File the extension. 

Next day, we are at a clients home doing a tax return, and she sends a text wanting to know when she is getting her 2015 return.  I text back to listen to her VM.  She calls back, pissed off like no one's business.  I calmly explain that we will not prepare the 2015 return for someone who is unhappy with our service, that we appreciate the years she has been with us, but based on our analysis, there is no reason for her to be upset, except that we did not have her files in front of us when she called.  I got an earful about how we were unprofessional, and how many thousands of dollars she has spent with us.  Blah blah blah blah blah.....

I really needed a "Rita Hug" for her at this point. 

On our way home after completing our other client's return, the texts just keep coming.  "I want a signed receipt for my prior year returns".  Your check is your receipt, along with the detailed invoice we provide.  "That is very unprofessional".  "I am telling all my family to stop coming to you".  Ignored.  "I want my proof of extension e-mailed to me"  We are mailing it to you certified.  "You are unprofessional".

I am sick and tired of this tax season.  I am ready to be done.

Catherine, can you hit a target in California from your front yard?  Please say yes......

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 7

Tom, I would love to hug your client.  I am convinced that she deserves a good hug.  To say you are unprofessional is just unacceptable.  :angry:

I have four here that have not picked up, their returns have been ready for days, and I am hitting the door.  I got them all extensions, but they don't know that.  If they have a heart attack because they thought I would stay here and wait on their precious @$$%$, it really cannot be helped. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

Catherine, can you hit a target in California from your front yard?  Please say yes......

For you,Tom, I would try!  

I would also stop responding to this utter LOSER.  She is going to be pissed no matter what (she IS pissed and is not willing to admit you deserve a life that includes dinner and not being chained to your desk).  If she gives you no respect, she GETS no respect.  Politeness, yes, because of YOUR level of professionalism. But you are under NO obligation to listen to(/read/whatever) in-person, voice mail, email, or text messages that treat you like dirt.  

• Like 6