ATX Community

Microsoft Edge and my Windows 10 O. S.

Lucho

On 7/12/2016 at 7:01 AM, Abby Normal said:

The learning curve from 8.1 to 10 is a lot less steep. BHoffman's issue was MS killed Windows Mail so she had to switch to Outlook.

I've been using Thunderbird for a very long time because I hate most Microsoft software and you never know when they're going to kill off their software.

I installed TBird email on my new computer with Win 10, and I like it much better than Outlook!  So, I bought Office Home and Student for $150, and then bought Office Home and Business just because it has Outlook for around $230.  I could have just installed nice TBird, but nooooooo.......and my desktop scanner driver won't work with Win 10.  And my HP printer/scanner/fax/copier is making very crappy copies only if I use the top feeder and I can't figure out why.  It also either scans a very crappy PDF or a very huge PDF.  Those are the choices.   :(  Bah!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BHoffman said:

and my desktop scanner driver won't work with Win 10.  And my HP printer/scanner/fax/copier is making very crappy copies only if I use the top feeder and I can't figure out why.  It also either scans a very crappy PDF or a very huge PDF.  Those are the choices.   :(  Bah!

My Fujitsu ScanSnap S500 is about 10 years old.  They are not updating drivers for it.  When I got my new W8 computer two years ago, my scanner wouldn't work but I found a way to make it think it was working with W7 and it's been working fine with W8.  I assume when I get a new W10 computer, I'll get a new scanner at that time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BHoffman said:

Abby Normal - have you ever had any problems with TBird email?  So far, so good here and it's a whole lot easier than Outlook!

When you've used a software from thru many versions over many years, you're bound to have some problems and TBird is no different. I have hundreds of folders, some GBs in size, hundreds of message filters and who knows how many emails. I'm told Outlook would choke on this many emails, and TBird was giving me some performance issues a short while ago. But I resolved it by doing this:

1. Delete all *.msf files in Mail folder
  2. Delete global-messages-db.sqlite in the Profiles folder
  3. Turn off Indexing under Options Advanced General.
  4. Config Editor (Options Advanced General button at bottom right)
  5. Set mail.db.idle_limit to 999999999
  6. Set mail.db.max_open to 5000 (or more than the number of folders you have)

I think since your version is quite new, I would do just #3 for now, but save this list for later, just in case.

Below are the add-ons I have installed. Quickfolders is an annual fee but it's so useful for finding folders, it's a must for me. Folder Pane View Switcher is highly recommended as well. I have it set to just show folders with unread messages.

TBird Addons.JPG