ATX Community

Casualty loss not flowing to 4684 from asset disposition entries

joanmcq

I'm doing a 2014 return where the client's part business use vehicle was totalled.  I entered all of the insurance reimbursment info on the casualty loss tab under dispositions.  The gain on disposition is showing up on the 4797 Pt II line 13, but nothing is showing up on the 4684 page 1 or 2.  Can anyone give me any insight on what I'm not doing correctly?

The business portion was completely depreciated, but the personal portion, of course was not.  does the gain bifurcate between personal and business?  I don't do a lot of casualty losses.  BTW, I use ATX.

3 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I'm doing a 2014 return where the client's part business use vehicle was totalled.  I entered all of the insurance reimbursment info on the casualty loss tab under dispositions.  The gain on disposition is showing up on the 4797 Pt II line 13, but nothing is showing up on the 4684 page 1 or 2.  Can anyone give me any insight on what I'm not doing correctly?

The business portion was completely depreciated, but the personal portion, of course was not.  does the gain bifurcate between personal and business?  I don't do a lot of casualty losses.  BTW, I use ATX.

When mixed-use property is involved, you must split the gain or loss proportionally between the two types of use, and it is reported as if it is 2 separate transactions.

In trying to find a cite, I found the section with an example of mixed-use auto with a loss, doesn't reference gain anywhere. See: 1.165-7(b )(4)(iv) toward the bottom: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.165-7

I do have a casualty gain on the biz portion (basis $338), and would have a loss on the personal except for the insurance reimbursement.

I did the mixed use calcs, but still couldn't get the loss to flow from the disposition worksheet to the 4684.  ended up just entering it manually.