ATX Community

MFS amended to MFJ and late filing penalty

SFA

Hypothetical situation: Married couple has filed extension. One spouse is self-employed the other has a W2. The self-employed spouse will not be ready to file by deadline.

Scenario: W-2 spouse files MFS by Oct 15, and the self-employed spouse misses the deadline.

After Oct 15, W-2 spouse amends return to include the self-employed spouse.

1st Question: Is there any late filing penalty for the self-employed spouse?

2nd Question: Can self-employed spouse make a 2015 payment without filing a return?

51 minutes ago, SFA said:

Hypothetical situation: Married couple has filed extension. One spouse is self-employed the other has a W2. The self-employed spouse will not be ready to file by deadline.

Scenario: W-2 spouse files MFS by Oct 15, and the self-employed spouse misses the deadline.

After Oct 15, W-2 spouse amends return to include the self-employed spouse.

1st Question: Is there any late filing penalty for the self-employed spouse?

2nd Question: Can self-employed spouse make a 2015 payment without filing a return?

1)  If you are amending to include self-employed after Oct 15, yes, there is a late-filing penalty.  Self-employed missed the deadline, as you stated.

2)  Yes, I would print self-employed a 2015 1040-ES.

I just had a MFJ couple who hadn't filed in two years (well, one died so that's a good excuse) and hadn't sent in the $14k ES payment I had calculated for them when their 2014 went on extension.  When the IRS sent a kind reminder to file,I had the living spouse send it in even before I completed the return.  Money accepted.  There ended up being a $5k overpayment, which I applied to the 2015 return.  When I filed the 2015, there was no way I could convince the program that the applied amount wasn't from a timely filed return so wasn't timely paid.  An IRS letter arrived shortly thereafter, charging interest for late payment of the applied refund.  Their programs must be better than mine.  I just told him to pay it.

I will answer question 2.

A payment for 2015 can be sent without filing a return starting January 1, 2015 and if you want to file timely, you had until April 18, 2016 to file.

I wonder if I send an estimated payment today and I label it "ES payment for 2017" the IRS will return it to me or consider it for 2016.