ATX Community

TIN Matching sign up error?

jklcpa

When I log on to e-services, I've always been a little puzzled by why it has 3 names listed for me, and which one I should select. First is my nmae as an individual; next is my complete firm name; and last is the complete firm name followed by my address.

Today I logged on using the third one with the address and tried to apply for the TIN matching service, I didn't get passed the first screen where a pop up box told me I wasn't allowed to use this service or that it didn't like my firm EIN. Now, I'm sure that I entered everything correctly and I think I should be able to apply for the TIN matching.

What am I doing wrong besides trying to interact with IRS' computer on a Monday?!

TINerror.JPG

• Like 1

Gail, are you also a reporting agent. My e-services are as ERO and access to transcript delivery services. I don't function as a reporting agent. Is that the problem?  Or maybe it's because I haven't used TDS in a long time and might get one of those letters. I don't have any more time for this IRS BS today. Moving on....

Hold time for IRS help is ~ 60 mins.

I got letter today from IRS to go eservice and complete identity proofing within 30 days with a special code in the letter. Letter says that I must complete within 30 days of letter  and if not then my eservice account will be deactivated. It seems that your eservice account is deactivated and phone call needed to reactivate it. Just my guess.

Everyone who has used eservices in the past year is getting the letter.  A colleague and I both got ours today.  The code in the letter is only if you have to call to register (i.e., didn't pass the authentication online).  You will need your last tax return, a credit card or mortgage loan account number in your name, and a cell phone in your name.  They will text a security code that you will use to complete your registration.  What a pain.  The ID thieves sure have made it tough on us (not to mention all the taxpayers they messed up).  Hopefully our pain will thwart at least some of them and be worth it in the end.

What a pain!!!  I got the letter Saturday and tried twice to call them yesterday.  Each time, after being on hold for over 1 hour, the phone line went to a "fast busy" signal and I was forced to hang up.  I am now into 45 minutes hold time trying again.  I have to do the verification by phone since my cell phone is in my son's name.

How is this verification different from the one that Intuit ProSeries had me do last month when I had to go online and access my E-file application summary?

2 hours ago, RINGERS said:

What a pain!!!  I got the letter Saturday and tried twice to call them yesterday.  Each time, after being on hold for over 1 hour, the phone line went to a "fast busy" signal and I was forced to hang up.  I am now into 45 minutes hold time trying again.  I have to do the verification by phone since my cell phone is in my son's name.

How is this verification different from the one that Intuit ProSeries had me do last month when I had to go online and access my E-file application summary?

Ringers,     If you "lose" another line ---- consider doing the verification via phone (answer yes to all beginning questions on "do you have") and go through the verification online. Once you get to the phone part, enter your number --- let the system tell you your phone does not qualify //// at which time it, when you try again --- it will tell you they have confirmed you BUT that they (IRS) will mail you the verification code since the phone you have will not work.

It works, as I am awaiting my "mail" code now.     My phone is listed to me BUT apparently was not acceptable to the IRS -- so they just gave me the "mail" code.

My question to them is (answers are unclear) will I be able to use MY PHONE to get future codes since I am verified or will I NEED a VERIFIED to me phone?      Initial verification is clear --- NEEDED /// but follow-up for doc's etc. is muddy in the instructions.

By the way JKLcpa, I am listed as an ERO (what I use e-services for, EFIN, etc.) but received the letter to "verify" under the GET-Transcripts or lose e-services via my IRS letter ---- which is only reason I used the procedure --- all my e-services login's etc. have never mentioned getting verified /// just the Get-Transcripts; which I several years ago started to use / but never did (except for messages - system down, back up, etc.). and have several names under e-services ----- all with same login, etc.. so it may be your system (unless they have some of the names you have listed as in-active or out of business).

• Like 1

I also needed to call because my cell phone is in my name Bill, not William (they're very picky), so I called when they open at 6:30 CST.   Since, I'm an early riser it was not a problem and I got right through.  Agent said wait time can be two and a half hours.   Have available your 2015 tax return as they will ask questions about 1099s you received.  You'll have to give the payer and amount.  It needs to be exact, especially the payer name. 

Good luck,

William

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, easytax said:

My question to them is (answers are unclear) will I be able to use MY PHONE to get future codes since I am verified or will I NEED a VERIFIED to me phone?      Initial verification is clear --- NEEDED /// but follow-up for doc's etc. is muddy in the instructions.

Apparently the verification is what requires a phone "properly" in your name and as specified (not landline, not pre-paid, etc.). I received the mail code and finalized my verification process. Once done the get transcript service sent me a code to get in; to my phone (the one not good enough for the verification). So again, good to go = if need arises.