ATX Community

C corp final return- question on balance sheet & M-2

jklcpa

I have probably the stupidest and easiest of questions and am having a total mental block.  One of my C corps sold its business in an asset sale and is filing its final return.  The balance sheet should be zeroed out.

The distributions have been made and when I enter those on Sch M-2, it ends up with a negative balance of $10K on line 8, and is exactly equal to the amount of common stock. So at this point the only 2 things on this balance sheet are $10K of common stock and negative retained earnings of $10K.

Am I not thinking clearly about this.  I need more, much more, sleep and a whole lot of chocolate.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  I think I need to fill out the M-1 and M-2 because the company's revenues from operations before the sale were ~ $300K. Is that correct also? 

Told you these were stupid and easy. Please send chocolate ASAP!

You know, it's the first corp of the year and I forgot that I have the software set to not autobalance the Sch L so it didn't fill in retained earnings.  I just went back in and entered the negative $10K in Sch L for the unapprop R.E, and then Drake filled out the M-2 including line 8.  I don't know why it wouldn't complete the M-2 because of that, but now it's filling in those lines. I guess that was my whole problem, because the program was leaving lines blank and not completing the math. 

Now Sch L shows $10K in common stock and negative $10K in r.e.   

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

You know, it's the first corp of the year and I forgot that I have the software set to not autobalance the Sch L so it didn't fill in retained earnings.  I just went back in and entered the negative $10K in Sch L for the unapprop R.E, and then Drake filled out the M-2 including line 8.  I don't know why it wouldn't complete the M-2 because of that, but now it's filling in those lines. I guess that was my whole problem, because the program was leaving lines blank and not completing the math. 

Good Girl....And You're welcome...b0225.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Is this the result you want? Or are you trying to zero out the balance sheet?  Methinks you over distributed the ordinary dividend.  Part of the distribution would have been return of capital.  That portion would not be included in the M-2 amount.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rfassett said:

Is this the result you want? Or are you trying to zero out the balance sheet?  Methinks you over distributed the ordinary dividend.  Part of the distribution would have been return of capital.  That portion would not be included in the M-2 amount.

Yes, trying to zero out. Don't I include that $10K in the total liquidating distributions so that they report the total as proceeds on their stock redemption and claim the $10K basis they have in the stock?  Don't the liquidating distributions tie in to M-2? 

I believe the $10,000 would be a non-dividend distribution.  Distribution to extent of capital stock is basis to shareholder. Then distribution to extent of Retained Earning is dividend income.  Remaining distribution is liquidating dividend..  That is how it would appear on the 1099-DIV and how I believe it would shake out on the 1120.  So to answer your question - the liquidating distribution does not necessarily tie to the M-2.

• Like 6

rfassett is asking the same question I have.  I believe you have to liquidate the stock.  It cannot exist any more.  I am not sure a 1099DIV is the reporting mechanism.

I think you need a stock redemption transaction recorded on the books as the final entry to zero out everything.  

Tom
Newark, CA

Here's what's happened, and I hate when attorneys give this advice.  Attorney told the client to just not pay the state franchise tax or any licenses any more and let the corporation go into default, notify all agencies, and that they did not need to go through a formal liquidation.  Owners distributed the remaining cash and an automobile.  

So how should this be reported?  Wouldn't what Ron was saying be the proper way then, to report all as ordinary/QDI dividends up to the amount of retained earnings except for the $10K that is a return of capital?

ETA -  I do have the auto distrib'd at FMV with that gain recorded in the corp.

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

rfassett is asking the same question I have.  I believe you have to liquidate the stock.  It cannot exist any more.  I am not sure a 1099DIV is the reporting mechanism.

I think you need a stock redemption transaction recorded on the books as the final entry to zero out everything.  

Tom
Newark, CA

I agree, Tom, about your treatment zeroing out the balance sheet, but a 1099-Div must be used to report this transaction to the shareholder and the government. A dividend has been paid and it needs to be reported.

Sorry, but I disagree.  A redemption of Stock is a sale or other disposition.  I don't think it is a distribution of profits which would give rise to a dividend. 

If I am wrong, please show me where you are getting your info.  I don't do many of these, but I am pretty sure that is just a return of capital in a stock redemption and not reportable on a 1099 DIV.

Tom
Newark, CA

54 minutes ago, jasdlm said:

I agree with Tom. I believe all liquidating transactions are reported through the K1.   If there WAS a 1099, (which I do not think there should be), wouldn't it be a 1099B?  Agree with zeroing out the balance sheet.  File form 966.

This is a C corp so no K-1.  Also 1099Bs are issued for broker and barter transactions and that would not be appropriate either.