ATX Community

And a NJ question

Catherine

Here's a weird one.  Client came in to talk about doing her aunt's final return and estate income.  Aunt lived in NJ and passed away in November. That's not the weird part.

The weird part is that the aunt, in her 80's, was herself the executor of the NJ estate of a friend of hers.  My client cannot find any information on what HER OWN obligations to this other estate might be.  For example, where to find out if it is finalized or not, and if not, does *she* now need to finish it up?  Can anyone point to a place I can send her to get this info?

She may be able to check the court records if she knows the location to see if final documents were filed and release was provided.  Does she know of any relatives of the deceased?  I wouldn't think this client would have any personal obligations to the other estate but, well, I'm not a lawyer (love saying that!).

• Like 2

Your client could check with the county (superior) court to try to find out if it's been settled. If it hasn't and if a co-executor was named then that person would be asked to take over the duties. If no co-executor and not settled, then the court must appoint someone. It wouldn't fall on your client, but she could petition the court to be considered for the role.

• Like 3