ATX Community

NY state, combined NY city return

JimTaxes

I am in Ohio. sometimes clients move all over the country and still have me do their taxes.. kind of stumped on a new york return

issues

• taxpayer lives in Brooklyn NY, zip 11215
  • 2 W2s 
  • both withheld NY state tax
  • one withheld new york city tax
  • one withheld city tax labeled "KINGS"

on the NY IT-201, page 4, Total New York City tax withheld, program only picking up the city taxes from the w2 where the city tax was labeled NYC in the federal W-2 worksheet, resulting in a balance due

is Kings really kind of like NY city and do I change on that W-2 federal city box the words KINGS to NYC or does it stay as KINGS and they owe then?.. 

I found the answer.. in case anyone ever runs into this type of thing.. following from ProSeries support so may be W-2 input different in ATX but same idea probably

Kings County is part of NYC.  When you input the W2, make it NYC.  That should carry over the local tax to the NYS return.  

In case you get anymore NYC clients or become a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Kings County=Brooklyn,  Richmond County=Staten Island and NY County= Manhattan.  Queens is Queens and Bronx is "Da' Bronx".   All local tax on W2 should be identified as NYC, someone was being cute (or unaware) by labeling it as Kings.

You will need the school code for the county (or borough as we NYers call them) and it will be identified as Kings.

Good luck on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

• Like 1