ATX Community

990 accounting for revenue question

schirallicpa

Nonprofit received very large contribution in early 2017.  But the contributor had written the check on Dec 31, to take the deduction.  When the NP wrote him a very nice letter thanking him for the contribution, they dated the contribution for the 31st to support his taking the 2016 deduction.  But - they did not know it was coming, and their books record the money as 2017 income.  Not a problem, until I get to the schedule B.  If I put him on Sch B with that large contribution, his amount alone will exceed the total revenue for 2016.  So that sticks out like a sore thumb.  But if I put the lesser amount that was received in 2016 will there be possibility of mismatch later on if his return gets pulled?  Can I just put the lower amount, and then put an explanation on schedule O?  Or should I include the income on the 2016 990 as an in-transit receivable - even though it was an unknown.......I don't like that idea......:pop::pop:

I believe the non-profit's issues are deeper than when to record the revenue.  According to your post, the non-profit issued a receipt for something they did not receive nor did they actually know what the amount would actually be.  If that does not smell like an issue, I don't know what would.  To your present issue, prepare the return you are working on for the period you are working in.  Include the revenue in the year the contribution was received.  This non-profit may already have enough issues without adding cooking the books to the mix.  My response may sound harsh and I apologize if it comes across that way.  But that is what I see in your post.

1 hour ago, schirallicpa said:

Nonprofit received very large contribution in early 2017.  But the contributor had written the check on Dec 31, to take the deduction.  When the NP wrote him a very nice letter thanking him for the contribution, they dated the contribution for the 31st to support his taking the 2016 deduction.  But - they did not know it was coming, and their books record the money as 2017 income.  Not a problem, until I get to the schedule B.  If I put him on Sch B with that large contribution, his amount alone will exceed the total revenue for 2016.  So that sticks out like a sore thumb.  But if I put the lesser amount that was received in 2016 will there be possibility of mismatch later on if his return gets pulled?  Can I just put the lower amount, and then put an explanation on schedule O?  Or should I include the income on the 2016 990 as an in-transit receivable - even though it was an unknown.......I don't like that idea......:pop::pop:

Does your state require a financial audit?  Our state (state's attorney general) does when income is above $300K, most likely an auditor will not consider the letter dated on the 31st, but would recognize the revenue as received in 2017.  The contributor is the only one who won.

I don't think that the letters sent or the Sch B contributions are actually matched up to deductions taken by tax payers, although I could be wrong.  But the contributor intended to contribute in 2016, and presumably mailed the check in 2016 so he deducted the check in 2016.  The non-profit received the money in 2017, so they recorded the revenue in 2017.  I would not worry too much about the matching issue.  Although if it does turn out that somebody gets an CP2000 or equivalent asking about this contribution, I would love for you to follow up and tell us. 

Thank you Gail, jasdlm, I think that is where I was leaning.  Certainly no one is trying to cook any books.  I just had not come across this situation before, and since it is a large amount of money,  the matching issue swatted me in the face.

Yes - I will post again if I hear of a notice - however, I do not know the contributor and I suspect he would be the recipient, not my client the non-profit.