ATX Community

Win 10 HELP

Lion EA

So, I followed some directions here re NOT having Win 10 automatically update; did that on both desktop and laptop and all has been well for years.  This afternoon, my laptop has a box saying Win 10 is downloaded and will install when I restart.  I need to close my laptop to take to a client's biz site.  Help!  How can I prevent Win 10 from installing when I turn it on at my client's?  In simple language for this old lady, please.

Lion,

I can't think of any easy way not to let the Win 10 update install, but it is not a harmful update.  I installed it two days ago and have had no problems with any of my tax or other programs running.  It updates the Edge browser, finally, and makes it faster and better.  It also installs other security updates, which is not a bad thing either with the massive hijacking that went on over the weekend.  It does take quite a bit of time to finish the install, so be sure to allow at least an hour for it to complete.

If you don't like the results of the update, you can always restore your operating system from your latest backup of the system drive.

Good luck!

Edited by RINGERS
typos

I view change the way Abby does.  A new computer with Win10 would be fine for me, I think.  But, this laptop has a Share file that keeps certain files the same on my laptop and desktop.  So, I'm nervous about one being on Win7 and one on Win10.

It says it will complete the installation when I restart.  If I shut down and then start, will that install?  

I have backed up files from the laptop.  And, my most important files are in that Share folder which moves them automatically to my desktop.  But, I never backed up the system on my laptop.  It's just the one I take to a client's biz site.  I do my work mostly from my desktop, and all my tax work from my desktop.

Anything I can do now?  To back up system?  To remove Win10 files?

• Like 1

If you have not yet turn off your computer, go to setting, update and use uninstall update. But if you already turn off the laptop, then when you restart, it will install the update. No way to stop it. It is a big update so will take about 30-45 minutes to install.

Hope this helps.