ATX Community

2 short year returns - 2nd rejected

J. Gray

Hello all, 5pm on Sept 15th and I have a short year partnership return with a 754 election that has to go in tonight...the first half of the year partnership return for this entity was accepted, so when trying to e-file this one, it is rejected due to a duplicate ein...and of course support desk is closed...Can anyone help?

thanks

I moved this to Gen'l Chat so it might get more attention. Sorry I don't have answers. Was this an ATX rejection by the system or did the return make it to IRS and rejected there?  I think ATX may have to do something in their system to allow the 2nd return, but I'm not sure. I think you will either have to paper-file the return or will have to rely on the reject (if an IRS reject) being dated today that gives you a few days to fix the reason for the rejection.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little bit confused as to why two short year returns were required.  It seems to me this could only occur if there were two separate events involving ownership change.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and maybe several of you will jump all over this), but I did think the purpose of a short year return was to re-establish the fiscal reporting year, and then annual reporting would pursue from that point forward.  Example:  Form 1065 has a year ending Aug 31st and enters into a situation where they must change to December 31.  A short-year return for four months is required, but subsequent returns will file a full year ended Dec 31.

Appears to me a situation requiring two consecutive short years would be two different events which have the effect of changing the reporting period TWICE within 12 months.  What am I missing?