ATX Community

Be a Tax Star - For Week of 3/10 - 3/16/18

jklcpa

Here's the spot to post and have an opportunity to be the Tax Star for week #4!  

What to post -

• Post something about your week, a kooky client, wacky situation that happened in your office, or whatever you want to share with us here that brought smiles, laughs, exasperation, or appreciation and gratitude from those around you.
  • It's ok to chat here too, but those won't count as official entries. If there's a lot of chatter, those will be marked as "nonvoting".
  • If your story is in another topic, make mention or link to it here.
  • Nominate other members and tell us why the person should be considered.

How it works -

• Valid posts are those made through 3/16/18 at 11:59pm ET and must be about something that happened during this current week. Voting will continue through the next day, 3/17/18 until 11:59pm ET.
  • Vote for your favorite Tax Kook/Aficionado by clicking one of the positive emoticons of "like", "thanks" or "haha" within this topic.  If referring to posts in other topics, reactions made there don't count.  Thumbs down and angry faces won't be counted.
  • The winner will be the member that earns the highest number of positive reactions for any one post within this topic.  For members having multiple posts in one week, the posts will be considered as stand-alone entries; votes not tallied across the multiple posts.
  • Like 1

JKLCPA ! Thank you for the nomination, CATHERINE for the second. My head is still spinning over these issues. I like your term, CATHERINE, legis-vermin. Oddly enough, the legislative attorney contacted the LA EA Society for our input on two bills being introduced next week to regulate tax preparers in Louisiana. 

• Like 6

The snip below is a life or death story of taxes (yeah, right!) that is too funny and simply must be included here to put @rfassett in the running for a star. Ron is another long time member that always give great advice and doesn't post often enough. I remember one of Ron's other life or death stories of how his wife gave him a very thoughtful gift that had a very strong magnet in it right after having a pacemaker installed!   

This is Ron's latest post from the RitaB's topic "Come again?" that you can vote for here:

Reminds me of a client that dropped off his stuff a couple weeks ago.  I know he is in the midst of a divorce but the couple wants to file a joint return.  No problem so far.  This is a very long term client and all the associated risks and issues have been addressed.  He calls last week and needs to see me immediately.  I already had a very full day and told my secretary to make an appointment with him on the morrow.  No way, he says, this is a life and death issue.  That got my attention and I carved out some time for him an hour later.  He comes in, we go to the conference room, and he starts crying and he hands me a 1099-K from a massage parlor (not the business that I do the work for).  Turns out the girl at the massage parlor talked him into putting his information on the credit card processing because she does not have a green card, etc, etc blah blah blah!  Turns out this girl - who has to be 40 years this client's junior - is the impetus behind the divorce.  The life and death issue was he did not want the 1099-k showing up on the joint return for his wife to see.  He was right about the  life and death issue - I almost killed him myself for being so stupid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

• jklcpa unpinned this topic