ATX Community

Efile SS benefits only income ?

cientax

Trying to efile tax return for mother in law but cannot create because there is no refund on the return. There is only SS benefits on the return. They are wanting direct deposit of stimulus payment and bank account information must be on the tax return for this purpose. ATX will not create efile if there is no refund on the return. (Mother in law brings me stimulus drugs each month). What to do?

You are allowed to use $1 of other income so that you can efile. I do not think there is anyway for you to send the bank information for the rebate to come to the bank instead of the mailbox. I am amazed at the number of elderly that are not aware of filing a tax return to get the rebate. Do they not have a TV or read the newspaper. Isn't ss going to send a notice to all by Mar. 15 to make them aware of this?

You are allowed to use $1 of other income so that you can efile. I do not think there is anyway for you to send the bank information for the rebate to come to the bank instead of the mailbox. I am amazed at the number of elderly that are not aware of filing a tax return to get the rebate. Do they not have a TV or read the newspaper. Isn't ss going to send a notice to all by Mar. 15 to make them aware of this?

I added the $1 on line 21 as other income, but ATX program still won't let me create the efile. And yes you can have the stimulus payment direct deposit only if you have the bank account and routing number on the return even if there is no refund due.

I added the $1 on line 21 as other income, but ATX program still won't let me create the efile. And yes you can have the stimulus payment direct deposit only if you have the bank account and routing number on the return even if there is no refund due.

It does create the efile when you leave the bank info blank. Looks like either ATX has not updated the program to accomodate or IRS is not allowing it to be efiled this way.

I was getting the same error message with a balance due and DD information entered. I unchecked the "use last year info" on the 1040EF Info sheet and the error message went away and it let me create the efile.

However, the bank info is not printing on the Form 1040. In this case, I have a State refund so I'm wondering if the DD info will transmit to the IRS.

I was getting the same error message with a balance due and DD information entered. I unchecked the "use last year info" on the 1040EF Info sheet and the error message went away and it let me create the efile.

However, the bank info is not printing on the Form 1040. In this case, I have a State refund so I'm wondering if the DD info will transmit to the IRS.

This is what I'm worried about. I don't think it will transmit the bank information to the IRS if it's not entered on the tax return We don't have a state tax return to file, only a federal return to file. But it won't let me creat the efile with the bank information. They are my in-laws and we can still mail the return in instead of efiling. But I read somewhere, that the return had to be efiled i only SS benefits were the only qualifying income to be reported if they were filing only to receive the stimulus payment. (Sure hope she brings my stimulus drugs next month)!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I'm worried about. I don't think it will transmit the bank information to the IRS if it's not entered on the tax return We don't have a state tax return to file, only a federal return to file. But it won't let me creat the efile with the bank information. They are my in-laws and we can still mail the return in instead of efiling. But I read somewhere, that the return had to be efiled i only SS benefits were the only qualifying income to be reported if they were filing only to receive the stimulus payment. (Sure hope she brings my stimulus drugs next month)!!!!!!!!!!

It might be best to wait until March 19. http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=169830,00.html

Change #12 includes the Economic Stimulus Payment update. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1346fsc12.pdf

"TY 2007 Publication 1346 Part I – File Specification Change #12

Economic Stimulus Payment

The changes are identified by two vertical bars in the right margin (||).

Deletions are identified by a hyphen followed by two vertical bars (-||).

These changes will be implemented nationwide March 18, 2008."

It doesn't look like the IRS has updated all the reject codes so there's no way of efiling direct deposit information. They'd just reject it.

There's a sample paper return posted by the IRS. http://www.irs.gov/pub/newsroom/1040a.pdf

Line 7 is being used for self-employment income, Line 14a for non-taxable social security & veterans benefits and line 40 is showing nontaxable combat pay. But this is for a paper return so if the only income is on lines 14a or 40, you'd still have to put the $1 of interest income on line 8a to get the return to e-file. Again, waiting until they "officially" allow efile would be a good thing.

Sadly, I haven't found any specific instructions for efile yet. If anyone has seen them, feel free to post.

Rev. Pro 2008-21

Section 1. Purpose

The revenue prodedure provides that hte IRS will not challenge the accuracy of income tax returns filed

with Notice 2008-28 by eligible individuals who enter $1.00 in adjusted gross income solely for purposes of

effectating the electronic filing of the return

Section 4. Procedure

An individual within the scope of this revenue procedure who wishes to electonicaaly file an income tax

return may enter $1.00 of income in the income section of the reurn and at least $1.00 of the adjusted gross income even though the return prepared as instructed in Notice 2008-28 would otherwise show no adjusted gross income.

The IRS will not challenge the accuracy of the entry of $1.00 of adjusted gross income on the return for any eligible individual who follows the procedures in Notice 2008-28 and in this revenue procedure and who has no filing requirement under sections 6012 or6017.

This is from NATP