ATX Community

FORM SS-4 for Trust

Max W

Trying to file SS-4  for a trust.

Line 3 asks for executor, trustee, etc

Line 7 asks for responsible party 

Question can these be one and the same?  By the instructions, it appears so.

On line 9A it asks for TIN of Grantor .  This doesn't show up on line.

The only place it ask for any SSN is under Responsible Party.  Isn't the responsible party the creator of the trust that became irrevocable when he died?

In the on-line version, it only asks for one SSN. it only asks for one SSN.  I would think it would be the deceased's, but maybe the executor's is more important???

I appreciate any help.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I don't see how the deceased can be 'responsible' or even responsive. 😁

Yeh! It's pretty tough. 😎

The difference between the paper form, which has two SSN's, and the on-line version, which only asks for one, got me a bit confused.  I reread the instructions, which could provide more info related to trusts, and finally got it right.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I don't see how the deceased can be 'responsible' or even responsive. 😁

We got a notice - I forget for what - from the IRS for a deceased client some years ago, over something resolved years earlier than that.  Yakking about non-response (ignoring letters we'd sent about the resolved situation) and threatening to do something.  I sent the new address - cemetery name, address, and plot number - as the forwarding address.  Never heard back...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 years later...

In filling out SS-4 for a Trust where the grantor has just died, what are we to enter in Line 9a after checking "Trust"?  It parenthetically asks for the TIN of grantor.   Do we leave the TIN blank (and just keep Trust checked?) or do we enter some other information?