ATX Community

E-File for multiple states

Jan S

I am in Michigan so I have only e-filed MI returns. Will I be able to e-file the state returns for someone who is part year MI and AZ for 2007?

Other than adding the e-file form for AZ is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks.

Jan

You might have to get permission from Arizona to E-file their returns. Some states need to authorize you and some don't. As of my printout of July, 2003, AZ was one of the states that required a copy of your IRS application and acceptance in order to e-file their returns.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Michigan so I have only e-filed MI returns. Will I be able to e-file the state returns for someone who is part year MI and AZ for 2007?

Other than adding the e-file form for AZ is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks.

Jan

There are two things you need to consider. First is whether the state allows part-year residents to e-file. I was just preparing a PY NJ and Ohio return today and found that NJ (I believe) doesn't allow part-year residents to e-file. The other issue with NJ is that you have to register (which we haven't since we mostly practice in Ohio). Second, you need designate which state return (if you can e-file both) as the piggyback (on the Federal) and then the other as standalone. If my memory serves, you can create the e-file document at once (instead of running through the process twice, once for the Fed/state combo and the other for the state standalone). But I haven't done it in a few years so someone may have to check me on that.

Hope that helps.

Charley

There are two things you need to consider. First is whether the state allows part-year residents to e-file. I was just preparing a PY NJ and Ohio return today and found that NJ (I believe) doesn't allow part-year residents to e-file. The other issue with NJ is that you have to register (which we haven't since we mostly practice in Ohio). Second, you need designate which state return (if you can e-file both) as the piggyback (on the Federal) and then the other as standalone. If my memory serves, you can create the e-file document at once (instead of running through the process twice, once for the Fed/state combo and the other for the state standalone). But I haven't done it in a few years so someone may have to check me on that.

Hope that helps.

Charley

When in doubt, go to the state website and find their ERO handbook. It'll tell you what forms can be efiled, if non-resident and/or part-year are supported, whether they allow State Only returns, if they require some sort of registration.

• 2 weeks later...

When in doubt, go to the state website and find their ERO handbook. It'll tell you what forms can be efiled, if non-resident and/or part-year are supported, whether they allow State Only returns, if they require some sort of registration.

Arizona is e-file friendly, You can do stand alone state or piggy back, use federal efin file any form. Only caveat with Arizona is don't send any paper to us. create AZ8879 and save in YOUR files for 4 years. I called on an 8453 and the director says "Just hold on to it" Been e-filing Az since 2001