ATX Community

standard mileage rate for motorcycle

catax

Can you take the standard mileage rate for a motorcycle? Tried to find somewhere it says you can or can't. But no luck. I know that the Sch C states car or truck expenses. I am leaning towards taking actual expenses. But would like to take standard if it is acceptable to do so. Any thoughts?

I believe the standard mileage rate is applied to any type vehicle as long as it is for business, charitable or medical. I have a client that uses his personal flat bed dump for business and his motorcycle for business and take the standard mileage rate for any vehicle used. His motorcycle's value is much greater than the dump's value and the mileage is very different but the same rate is used.

I haven't figured out where the button is to change to the economy on my car for when I go to the doctor vs. going to the office supply store but IRS thinks the deduction should be different.

So I think the mileage rate is based on activity and not type of vehicle.

Karen

Thanks for your reply Karen. Are there any other opinions on this issue? Or would you aggree with Karen that the motorcycle qualifies for the standard mileage rate. Using the standard mileage rate creates a loss for the Sch C. Just wanted to be sure to check into this. Thanks, Nena

>>the motorcycle qualifies for the standard mileage rate<<

You can usually count on me for a dissenting point of view. The current Revenue Procedure for standard mileage is 2007-70. "The term 'standard mileage rate' means the applicable amount provided by the Service for optional use by employees or self-employed individuals in computing the deductible costs of operating automobiles (including vans, pickups, or panel trucks) they own or lease for business purposes."

In the rules for listed property, trucks and vans are included with passenger cars specifically because they have four wheels. Motorcycles fall under the category of "other property used for transportation." Admittedly you could argue that's not directly related to this discussion, but the IRS makes the same distinction in Pub 463, its main discussion of standard mileage allowance and other car expenses. On page 17 it says, "Car Defined. For purposes of depreciation, a car is any four-wheeled vehicle (including a truck or van)..."

Standard mileage is a method of depreciation, and closely tied to other depreciation rules. In my opinion, a motorcycle is no more eligible for standard mileage allowance than a boat or airplane.

You can usually count on me for a dissenting point of view. The current Revenue Procedure for standard mileage is 2007-70. "The term 'standard mileage rate' means the applicable amount provided by the Service for optional use by employees or self-employed individuals in computing the deductible costs of operating automobiles (including vans, pickups, or panel trucks) they own or lease for business purposes."

In the rules for listed property, trucks and vans are included with passenger cars specifically because they have four wheels. Motorcycles fall under the category of "other property used for transportation." Admittedly you could argue that's not directly related to this discussion, but the IRS makes the same distinction in Pub 463, its main discussion of standard mileage allowance and other car expenses. On page 17 it says, "Car Defined. For purposes of depreciation, a car is any four-wheeled vehicle (including a truck or van)..."

Standard mileage is a method of depreciation, and closely tied to other depreciation rules. In my opinion, a motorcycle is no more eligible for standard mileage allowance than a boat or airplane.

Are you saying I shouldn't have taken standard mileage on my yacht and my private jet?

Jainen,

That was all I could find on it was the defination of "Car Defined for purposes of depreciation". This and the "four wheel-wheeled" vehicle definition. Which made me think not. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Nena

would a biofuel vehicle fall into the same classification as a horse or cow? i think you need to utilize fossil fuels to take the auto mileage rates.

That's why I take actual expenses for my bicycle. It was a VERY expensive bicycle, so I Sec. 179 it. I have to buy a new one every other year, so it's a big tax savings. A get a new helmet, and tires when needed also. The backpack is used solely for business, so that's okay too. I have special bike shorts printed up that say lbb FAST TAX we move our a** for YOU. I write that off as advertising.

I NEVER take my plane or boat. I rent them to the corporation and file a Sched E on both ONLY when used.

Has Betty Sue checked in? I haven't seen him, but I've been busy peddling my ***. lbb

Memorial Weekend is the Annual Meeting for non-profit organization. I am an independent contractor and present the financial statement analysis and along with budget. If the weather is really nice I take the Harley. Can't use standard mileage rate?

Labor Day Weekend is the Annual Meeting for a non-profit organization in the San Juans. I tow my really big boat so I can get to the meeting which can only be accessed by water (small airport but I don't have an airplane). Can't use standard mileage rate for water travel?

My personal car, motorcycle and boat have never hit my books for anything other than "standard mileage rate" for legitimate business travel.

I haven't really seen anything that says standard 4 wheels or better mileage rate. Couple years ago I think there was a split year for standard mileage rates because of fuel prices.

Wonder what I'm going to do when the moto-cross club has their meeting in the woods below Mt St Helens, then there is the jeep club...

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

>>the standard mileage rate for a motorcycle is .305 per mile<<

The GSA can set whatever rate it wants for official government business, but that doesn't change the tax code for the rest of us. The notice you cite specifically points out that IRS rates are not subject to GSA numbers.