ATX Community

Owes Back Taxes, Refund, Can we apply to the tax we want?

BulldogTom

My client has a large balance due on both Income Taxes and 941 Employment taxes.   He has a large overpayment on his 1040 this year.  I realize the IRS is not going to refund to him.

Is it possible to direct the refund to the employment taxes?  If so, how would you do so?

I don't think it is possible as the tax return TIN is not the same as the 941 EIN, but I am open to suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom
Modesto, CA 

On 3/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, BulldogTom said:

My client has a large balance due on both Income Taxes and 941 Employment taxes.   He has a large overpayment on his 1040 this year.  I realize the IRS is not going to refund to him.

Is it possible to direct the refund to the employment taxes?  If so, how would you do so?

I don't think it is possible as the tax return TIN is not the same as the 941 EIN, but I am open to suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom
Modesto, CA 

Here is the (safe link) to the IRS IRM https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-004-006r covering refund offsets that includes the ordering rules and some snips below from that IRM that may help. The individual's personal tax debt would be satisfied first, and then any taxes that are under the business master file.  As an officer of the business and person signing the 941s, he would be responsible for the debt, but I, too, think you are out of luck with this. 

The IRM on this is quite extensive, and I know that you don't like links, so if you want to find this for yourself you can search for "tax refund offset IRM" and it was the first item that came up for me and has the "irs.gov" address.

Anyway, here are the snips:

1173428143_refundoffset.JPG.eab76b3564270ea2f529fe0f162adcfb.JPG

298623984_morerefundoffset.thumb.JPG.2a0189de2b3ee07637a12bcb6cc00705.JPG

1746728362_morerefundoffset2.JPG.7ccbfc3e4c5a23d7cef5b3e1d0998d7a.JPG