ATX Community

Who in this group, uses portals to send documents to clients?

Jack from Ohio

A portal by itself will not allow your client to e-Sign. But, it would allow your client to print the page, sign it, and scan/upload it to your portal or fax it back to you (some of my clients mail it back and some text it or email, no matter what I tell them). Something like CCH's e-Sign will send your client a copy of his return for review and the signature pages, which he can sign with a touch screen or type in his name or have it automatically entered after he verifies his identity. NAEA offers Verifyle which is a secure email and can produce e-signatures if you enter your own verification method. It came out so close to the start of tax season, that I didn't look at it much.

54 minutes ago, Yardley CPA said:

I am also using CCH Portal for the past two years and it has been well received by my clients.  I believe you need an add-on program from CCH that will allow you to offer e-sign capabilities.  Maybe it's this:

https://taxna.wolterskluwer.com/firm-management-and-workflow/esign

Haven't pursued it yet.  I may next year. 

I am not using the CCH website.   I have another vendor.

Tom
Modesto, CA

e-Sign is a standalone program. I don't use the full CCH Portal; although, I use the simple portal FileShare that's free with my CCH SiteBuilder website. 

FileShare or any portal will allow you to upload anything you need to share with a client (or remote employee or...), so if a client needs a copy of his W-2, you can upload that alone. The full CCH portal can accept tax returns directly as I export for e-filing with just a check box, no separate export from the tax preparer. With FileShare, I do then need to upload to FileShare. I can upload the client copy or my copy or a customized list of separate pages or anything at all.

Run some demos of different products after tax season.

Hey Tom, see some of my concerns and ignorance in comments above.  Subsequently I have paid for Verifyle (I'm not in an organization that includes it; that would be more than the $108 annual fee or $9 per month so don't even need it all year).   There have been a few kinks but the clients that have so far used it are really happy.  It includes e-signing and documents can easily be uploaded and downloaded either way.  You can contact me if you want/need more info.  I really like it and am glad I finally 'get it.' 

• Thanks 1