ATX Community

Proceeds from Boker and Barter Exhance Transaction

Yardley CPA

Yes, as long as basis is reported to IRS, and there are no codes and dollar amounts for adjustments, then totals can be used.

I've had some with all basis reported and with tiny amounts for wash sales that I still reported using only totals and never heard from IRS. If they ever ask, I'll send that page of the broker summary. Gain was correctly reported. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ Yes, what Abby said. With multiple accounts, I have individual line items on the 8949 for each short or long grouping that ties back to each account, and I use a simple description something like "S/T - basis reported". The description is redundant since it shows in that section of the 8949 already.

• Like 4

If applicable for each 1099 I do a Long Term basis reported, Long Term no-basis reported, Short term basis reported, Short term no-basis reported. I've been doing that for several years and have never had a problem. Some people may have 4-5 1099s so that still ends up being a lot of entries but nothing like the alternative.

• Like 3