ATX Community

Form 5500 Rate

ETax847

Anytime I do something for the first time, I bill hourly. If it's a learning curve that benefits me (I'll do more of that thing and make money doing it) then I discount heavily.

PS We can't discuss fees specifically, price-fixing and all that. But, I don't have a fee for Forms 5500 anyway.

Maybe those who prepare 5500s can mention the range of hours it takes them.

I have done only 2 or 3 5500's in my 30 year career, all of which were to close the account.  The last one I did was more than 10-15 years ago and I do not recall the time involved.  It was the 5500-EZ form (I think, fuzzy recollection) and do not imagine it would be more than an hour presuming the client provided all of the pertinent information.  It will probably take longer to read the instructions than to do the actual return. YMMV

You can't file it on paper.

Efiling it is not like filing a 1040.

Be careful about what you are getting yourself into.

As much as I am astounded by the fees charged by pension folks, they got that stuff down. 

If your client is trying to save a buck, make sure you KNOW what you are getting yourself into.

• Like 3