ATX Community

IP PIN expire?

ILLMAS

My associate is working on two separate returns tax returns (both for 2018) and ATX is giving him an error message that the PIN does not match e-File database. FYI he is getting the 2018 PIN off the IRS letter, so I am wondering if these PIN's expire, anyone?

You will need the new IP PIN that the IRS would have issued this past December or early January, and that is the one that must be used for the current year and any back year returns. It isn't specific to only one tax year, it is specific to that taxpayer and his or her SSN.

From IRS FAQs:

Q1: What's an IP PIN?

A1: The IRS IP PIN is a 6-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers to help prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns. A new IP PIN will be generated each year.

If we assigned you an IP PIN, you must use it to confirm your identity on any return filed during the current calendar year. This includes current year returns as well as any delinquent tax returns.

An IP PIN is used only on Forms 1040, 1040PR and 1040SS.

Your client should have the received the letter Judy is speaking of. Yes, ID PIN expires every year. Just to reiterate, the taxpayer will receive a new ID PIN each year. This is done to protect from any further thefts. Normally, I would say to have the client contact the IRS to get a new ID PIN but there is no one there and getting an answer during this pandemic is probably impossible. I would agree with Pacun but there won't be anyone processing returns at the IRS for a while. Unless you client can come up with the letter, I'm afraid he/she might be in for the long haul.