ATX Community

Ask an ATX Tech Rep

OnMyFreeTime

One of my co-workers pointed me to this site. I work in Tech Support, not Customer Service. The difference(this year specifically) is that Technical Support handles and fixes errors that occur within the software. Customer Service takes care of form questions, how-tos, actual tax-related questions and various other non-technical problems.

That being said, if you have an error in the software, feel free to ask and I will try to help. Unfortunately, typically, all I can help with is errors, software functionality, and maybe answer a few "Why does this happen" questions. I am here of my own accord in an un-official capacity and you can ask questions/listen to me at your own risk.

One of my co-workers pointed me to this site. I work in Tech Support, not Customer Service. The difference(this year specifically) is that Technical Support handles and fixes errors that occur within the software. Customer Service takes care of form questions, how-tos, actual tax-related questions and various other non-technical problems.

That being said, if you have an error in the software, feel free to ask and I will try to help. Unfortunately, typically, all I can help with is errors, software functionality, and maybe answer a few "Why does this happen" questions. I am here of my own accord in an un-official capacity and you can ask questions/listen to me at your own risk.

Riiiiiiiiight, Horton.

DILEMMA:

I have 3 tax returns which were e-filed (Federal and LA state) on 3/6/2008. The 3 federal returns have been ACK'd. The 3 state returns still show IRS CLEARED.

I called Tech Support and was told they'd look into it and get back to me. So far, this hasn't happened. So I sent an e-mail to LA E-file Help Desk. Didn't get a reply by Monday noon so I called LA E-file Help Desk and was told that those 3 returns were ACK'D by the state on 3/7 and the refunds have been sent out. So far so good for my clients. Kathy from LA E-File Help Desk (to whom I had sent the email) called me this morning; when I relayed what has transpired so far she said she'd call ATX and find out what's going on.

Tech support thinks my issue has been resolved. It has not. My system still shows those 3 returns as IRS CLEARED. I have done a "synch" with the ATX system 3 times, the most recent one within a few days; those 3 returns are still IRS CLEARED. Tech support keeps suggesting I call them; I think it should be the other way around - they should be calling me.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

OK I'LL BITE i spoke to atx a few times on this till i got tired of hitting my head against the proverbial wall. THE state voucher letter has on the option screen as an entry for an alternate due date for the 4th estimate. but entering 12/31/08 for example doesn't flow to the letter. so you have an option entry not linked to the letter - can you get it fixed?

DILEMMA:

I have 3 tax returns which were e-filed (Federal and LA state) on 3/6/2008. The 3 federal returns have been ACK'd. The 3 state returns still show IRS CLEARED.

I called Tech Support and was told they'd look into it and get back to me. So far, this hasn't happened. So I sent an e-mail to LA E-file Help Desk. Didn't get a reply by Monday noon so I called LA E-file Help Desk and was told that those 3 returns were ACK'D by the state on 3/7 and the refunds have been sent out. So far so good for my clients. Kathy from LA E-File Help Desk (to whom I had sent the email) called me this morning; when I relayed what has transpired so far she said she'd call ATX and find out what's going on.

Tech support thinks my issue has been resolved. It has not. My system still shows those 3 returns as IRS CLEARED. I have done a "synch" with the ATX system 3 times, the most recent one within a few days; those 3 returns are still IRS CLEARED. Tech support keeps suggesting I call them; I think it should be the other way around - they should be calling me.

For the record, the status of the return on your system can vary from the status in the ATX system(the ATX system is always correct though). I have seen a few times this year where something slips up and you don't receive the updated status or don't receive the acknowledgements back from the Filing Center. Sometimes the acknowledgements come down and ATX just tosses them out and you have no idea this has happened. I don't have the 3 SSNs and I couldn't look them up unofficially for you if I did. I do suggest that you call in as well. It is difficult for reps to get permission to call out to customers, it would be much quicker if you were to call in. There is a transmission log that they could take a look at to find out exactly what is happening, and since we are so far past the date that these have been transmitted, it would be a good idea to do so. Customer Service will get the call and it may be a good idea to recommend they send you to technical support so that the transmission log can be looked at.

OK I'LL BITE i spoke to atx a few times on this till i got tired of hitting my head against the proverbial wall. THE state voucher letter has on the option screen as an entry for an alternate due date for the 4th estimate. but entering 12/31/08 for example doesn't flow to the letter. so you have an option entry not linked to the letter - can you get it fixed?

I've got some time later tonight, I can test this and verify that its not just happening on your computer. If it's a legitimate defect, I can get it submitted, it will be up to the QA dept to notify the forms dept. The turn-around is pretty quick though(sometimes just a few hours, sometimes a few days). Basically, I have to reproduce it, then they have to reproduce it, then they have to fix it.

I will check it out for you.

I don't understand. Why do reps have to get permission to call out to a customer? Isn't the reps job to help the customers? Do CCH employees have to get permission to go to the bahroom?

Yes it is, however, the majority of the customers call in when they have problems. When we have customers waiting on hold that called in, it would be quite unfair to them to give another customer a call out and make them continue to wait. If everyone calls in, the system becomes fair(as fair as possible). The exception to this rule is when you ask a rep to call you back at a specific time to follow up on an issue they could not resolve immediately, they can go get permission then and there to schedule a callback. I didn't make the rules, nor do I have any ability to change them. From where I sit, the rules are the rules just like the law is the law. Just because we don't agree with it, doesn't mean that we don't have to abide by it.

Yes it is, however, the majority of the customers call in when they have problems. When we have customers waiting on hold that called in, it would be quite unfair to them to give another customer a call out and make them continue to wait. If everyone calls in, the system becomes fair(as fair as possible). The exception to this rule is when you ask a rep to call you back at a specific time to follow up on an issue they could not resolve immediately, they can go get permission then and there to schedule a callback. I didn't make the rules, nor do I have any ability to change them. From where I sit, the rules are the rules just like the law is the law. Just because we don't agree with it, doesn't mean that we don't have to abide by it.

My major beef with phone tech support has always been that when you call in with a "bug report", they always want to keep you on the phone while they attempt to recreate/solve it. For pete's sake, just tell the programmers to take a look at it when they get a chance, and fix it! I can almost always work around it, I'm just letting you know so you can fix it.

Are you going to attempt to answer the questions posted in the other thread? Or do you need to ask permission??

It is difficult for reps to get permission to call out to customers,

Then the reps should NOT tell a customer that they will call them back. I had it happen 4 times to me, and the last time I said, "Please don't just say that to pacify me because I know you won't call me back." And lo & behold, she did not.

I believe that CCH/ATX was very unprepared for the onslaught of calls due to software & efile problems this year. The "ignorance" doesn't anger me but the "pacification" does. If you don't know something, just say "I DON'T KNOW". Then transfer my question to someone that does know.

How hard is that?

What is the problem with the server? We are trying to get returns e-filed on time and I keep getting server error. Is this being fixed and looked into. I don't have time to have to worry about if my clients returns are getting e-filed and having to resubmit them because they get rejected by the server. :scratch_head: