ATX Community

ATX Client Letter Formatting

Matthew in the PNW

Is there a way to have the 2020 Client Letter override the 2019 Client Letter when we roll over the clients? We have updated the letter for a slight formatting change, but we would have to manually delete all of the rolled over ATX client letters and then add in the newly formatted ones within ATX in order for this to work. We had to do this a couple years ago when we changed our logo and it was a PITA.

No. You have to discard all rolled over letters and then add them back. I've been using ATX since version 2013 and we almost always discard all letters after rollover. This year it's part of the rollover/emgagement checklist.

It would be nice if rollover preferences had the option to not rollover letters and to automatically add the current letters, but alas...

The 'discard multiple forms' feature makes it easy to discard all letters, however, and it's equally fast to add them back.

I'm having some issues with the Client letter as well. If a client has a Federal refund the language is "Your return shows a federal tax refund of $xxx.

However if the client has a state refund it reads as follows: As requested, your Illinois 1040 tax refund of $xxx will be deposited directly into your checking account. 

Why doesnt the Federal Client letter pick up on the fact of the refund being deposited directly in the checking account.  I have selected that refund option on the 1040EF?

3 hours ago, ETax847 said:

I'm having some issues with the Client letter as well. If a client has a Federal refund the language is "Your return shows a federal tax refund of $xxx.

However if the client has a state refund it reads as follows: As requested, your Illinois 1040 tax refund of $xxx will be deposited directly into your checking account. 

Why doesnt the Federal Client letter pick up on the fact of the refund being deposited directly in the checking account.  I have selected that refund option on the 1040EF?

Sorry ETax, I'm not sure. Washington (still) doesn't have an income tax, so I'm not very familiar with the state settings. 

7 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

No. You have to discard all rolled over letters and then add them back. I've been using ATX since version 2013 and we almost always discard all letters after rollover. This year it's part of the rollover/emgagement checklist.

It would be nice if rollover preferences had the option to not rollover letters and to automatically add the current letters, but alas...

The 'discard multiple forms' feature makes it easy to discard all letters, however, and it's equally fast to add them back.

I'm heading up most of the processes and procedures at our office, and only wish I had time to write a rollover checklist. At this point, I can only aspire to be a supreme guru. All in good time.

Am I correct in assuming the "discard multiple forms" process is the one I am familiar with which requires you to open each return separately in order to discard the rollover letter and upload the new one?

3 hours ago, Matthew in the PNW said:

I'm heading up most of the processes and procedures at our office, and only wish I had time to write a rollover checklist. At this point, I can only aspire to be a supreme guru. All in good time.

Am I correct in assuming the "discard multiple forms" process is the one I am familiar with which requires you to open each return separately in order to discard the rollover letter and upload the new one?

yes,  you have to open each return.

Part of your rollover procedures (start a list now and keep adding to it) should be to open each return as soon as it's rolled over. You want to make sure it opens without errors, and closing it creates a backup before any entries are made.

We also have extensive notes in each return that we copy/paste into our engagement worksheet notes section to make sure we don't screw up the return or miss anything.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ETax847 said:

Mine does, so maybe it's time to reset your letters to default. You do that in an open return by editing the format and going to Tools, Restore. Then save it for all future returns.

My state letter defaults to saying 'will be direct deposited' too but I still have to go into both fed and state and choose that on the payment/refund tab of efile Info form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Part of your rollover procedures (start a list now and keep adding to it) should be to open each return as soon as it's rolled over. You want to make sure it opens without errors, and closing it creates a backup before any entries are made.

We also have extensive notes in each return that we copy/paste into our engagement worksheet notes section to make sure we don't screw up the return or miss anything.

Interesting. We've never experienced issues with the returns not opening, so never considered this step.

We currently keep our notes in a word document within the client drive, so we don't need to open the return if the client calls for a reminder of what's needed.... I did start using the ATX reviewer notes last year though and found those very helpful. Our notes, if anyone reads this thread later are

• Open to client
  • Open to preparer
  • Open to Reviewer
  • Client Conversation Notes (We're adding this for 2020)
  • Notes for next year

It sounds like I don't have an option on the letters, but do see there are multiple approaches to this and should decide which path to follow now rather than later. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Mine does, so maybe it's time to reset your letters to default. You do that in an open return by editing the format and going to Tools, Restore. Then save it for all future returns.

My state letter defaults to saying 'will be direct deposited' too but I still have to go into both fed and state and choose that on the payment/refund tab of efile Info form.

Abby, that did the trick! I had no idea that function existed. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1