ATX Community

NT: Contact info for Square?

Catherine

Anyone have contact info fro Square?  I have gotten several messages from them that my TIN doesn't match IRS records.  I logged in to my account (separately, NOT following the link) and the TIN is correct - the one I've been using for almost 25 years.  I sent them a message through the online help, but never got a response.  However the messages keep coming.  It seems to legitimately be from Square (except I'm not clicking their links even to try thank you very much) so they're not paying attention to their own help center messages.

Clues for me?   Or just ignore it since the info on my acct is correct?

8 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

Did you look at how they have your name listed?  I have not received that message, although one of my customers did for their account and I assumed that Square had received a mis-match letter for the name/TIN based on the 1099K they sent out from the IRS. 

Yes I did look at how they have the name listed and that's OK too.

• Like 1

Be very careful, there are a lot of scam emails just like this, purporting to be from will known businesses that we all deal with.

In years past these emails were a bit crude with obvious grammar errors and were easy to spot.

I was reading an article several days ago about how the majority of these emails were coming out of Nigeria.

They did an in depth interview with a Nigerian engineering student who said he made $ 50,000 last year doing these emails.

• Like 1
  • Angry 3

3 hours ago, cbslee said:

Be very careful, there are a lot of scam emails just like this

That's why I do not click any links, but log in to my account directly.  However, the email address it's coming from is the same one that notified me of my 1099 availability, and that sends me my report notifications.    

On 2/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, cbslee said:

the spoofed phone number was her own cell phone number

I've gotten spoofed calls from myself, too (landline, not cell, though).  

Finally got this resolved (thanks, Judy!) to some degree.  All is well, but computers spit out the emails and the reps have NO way to stop them.  But their records are correct (as are mine) so I can ignore them without concern.

• Like 2