ATX Community

Has anyone heard of this software

Sherri

I have seen posts on other boards about and the users seem very satisfied with it. I have a very small practice and ATX is working towards and has just about succeeded in pricing me out of business. With required Ca continuing ed price increases and software increases, a small practice like mine is on the down hill slide. So, like most everyone else, I am looking for alternatives and $299 for unlimited Fed, state and efile, to me, it is worth a look. But after next week.

I have seen posts on other boards about and the users seem very satisfied with it. I have a very small practice and ATX is working towards and has just about succeeded in pricing me out of business. With required Ca continuing ed price increases and software increases, a small practice like mine is on the down hill slide. So, like most everyone else, I am looking for alternatives and $299 for unlimited Fed, state and efile, to me, it is worth a look. But after next week.

Yes, I have used them this year and am very satisfied with their program and customer service. As I have stated before on this board, I am a very small operation now, and they fit my budget.

More after 4/15 and a short timeout.

Daune/CA

Can they handle multiple states, and how was the conversion from ATX?

Overall, for the price I can't complain. I would say that overall, ATX is the better software, but I have a small practice. So as others have mentioned, ATX was pricing me out of business.

I do very few states and they seem to work fine. I've not done any returns with multiple states, so I can't address that issue.

They have a utility for converting from ATX to TRX. I had to do it the long way because I switched computers, operating systems and tax software all in the same year. (I won't be trying that combo again.) The pre-2007 versions of TRX were not Vista compatible and neither was the conversion utility. So I had to borrow my husband's XP computer and move everything there and then convert. Then move everything back to my computer.

Other than the operating system issues the conversion went OK. There were a few issues with missing or wrong birthdays, and there are issues with depreciation. Sometimes it moves "ghost" entries and the vehicles don't transfer perfectly. Also, it doesn't bring over the amortized points history. It still tracks them the same as ATX, it just doesn't convert them.

On the plus side, they are forms based like ATX (bunny is replaced by a "+" sign). When you input a zip code, it fills in the city & state (and even the county on the personal info page). You also have an option to engage some error checking tests. Primarily for the W-2s, 1099-Rs, and routing / account# info -- after you enter these, you go to a 2nd screen and re-enter. This helps minimize typos. (Although it seems most of my typos are on the check screen rather than the real data entry screen.)

Does anyone know if this software can be networked? That's one thing I do like about ATX, although the network isn't always so good!

I would be interested in this software if it is networkable and if the cost to network doesn't exceed what I'm currently paying.

I'm also still very interested in what Mel can come up with! It's still exciting to me tobe on the ground floor of a new piece of software!

Deb!

They also have a "Client checklist" that is about 1-2 pages, which asks questions about current year tax situation and indicates what support papers may be needed. Works well instead of a bulky proforma.

I don't do multiple state returns, but all states are included with the package, plus free efile.

Check their website www.trxalliance.com for further info and download of sample program.

This is very interesting because just this morning my husband noticed the postcard I received from TRX and was questioning why I didn't go on-line to check it out. I very neatly pulled out a floppy from Tax year 2000 and informed him that I had used them then. I never had any problems with the program. My problem was that it was DOS based--I am not--they had no 1-800 phone number--that got expensive--and at that point I had to pay to efile each return. When push came to shove, I switched to ATX because it was less expensive, and more in synch with my pea-brain, in the long run.

That no longer seems to be true and I will certainly take a long look at them later in the year. At my age and stage, I don't even know if I will be doing taxes next year so I am not rushing into anything. The price is certainly right for the taxes I do.

I got a phone call from them the other day. I asked them a million questions and (initially) it sounds like something I would check out. I asked them to send me a demo disk, which I received a few days later. I haven't checked it out yet, but will when everything dies down here.

I downloaded a copy of the 2007 package, and have done a return on it with a Sch C and Assets. I had very little trouble doing this return, and it ended with the same tax as ATX. You can use the forms entry same as ATX, makes things easier for people that have been doing taxes for a few years.

It did not include the state that I needed, but that is usually not a problem.

My only concerns now is if it does multiple states, I have about 10 with at least 2 states and one with 3 states, and the conversion from ATX.

As for as I can see it includes 1065, 1120 and 1120S. I don't do any so I can't say anything about them.

I figure if I order it early enough I will have time to check all the conversions to make sure it is all there.

Any one know how to do extensions with TRX? I've got 2, and it wants me to show AGI on 1040 and state (MO) just won't go. First year I've used it, and only minor problems with checkboxes before this. I'll probably use it again next year, unless Mel comes up with something for us.

Any one know how to do extensions with TRX? I've got 2, and it wants me to show AGI on 1040 and state (MO) just won't go. First year I've used it, and only minor problems with checkboxes before this. I'll probably use it again next year, unless Mel comes up with something for us.

I haven't done any state extensions, but I have done 2 federal. I had some preliminary data on the tax return, but I don't know if that matters. I added the 4868 and updated the fields as necessary.

I checked the appropriate box on the bottom of the page (filing with or without an electronic debit).

Went to the e-file page and checked the box for filing an extention

Went to Wrap-up and checked complete & transmit (there should now be an extra listing for the 4868 along with the fed and state in that box. Only the 4868 should say it is ready to e-file)

Then Transmit as normal. You won't get the regular acceptance notice. You'll just have to click on that return and check the status in the summary box below.

Good luck!