ATX Community

W-7 itin

grandmabee

Ok we filed the return with the W-7 included to austin TX. Then we will get the itin number. she is also working on getting a green card to work. So will she then apply for a socical number or always use the itin number. I have never worked with alien returns before and just double checking some information if any one can help it would be appicated.

When she can get a social security number, she will use that. The ITIN is for people who cannot get a ssn.

Ok we filed the return with the W-7 included to austin TX. Then we will get the itin number. she is also working on getting a green card to work. So will she then apply for a socical number or always use the itin number. I have never worked with alien returns before and just double checking some information if any one can help it would be appicated.

When she can get a social security number, she will use that. The ITIN is for people who cannot get a ssn.

She will use the social security number ever after. She needs to let the social security office that she filed her taxes with the ITIN so that the money contributed is transferred to her social security number

She will use the social security number ever after. She needs to let the social security office that she filed her taxes with the ITIN so that the money contributed is transferred to her social security number

So onced she gets the itin number then she will go to the social security office and apply for a SS number. For some reason I thought the itin would convert to the ss number once her green card was approved. but its two separate numbers?

So onced she gets the itin number then she will go to the social security office and apply for a SS number. For some reason I thought the itin would convert to the ss number once her green card was approved. but its two separate numbers?

If you prefer, you can think of the ITIN, as IRS Temporary Identification number. It is temporary until you get the real social security number. Qualifying for a real social security number has nothing to do with the ITIN, but rather with the immigration status.