ATX Community

Back from Drake

ChrisCPA

I just renewed with ATX - Max. I am a former Ultra Tax user and switched to ATX and used it for 2005-2006. After much deliberating because of the buyout and rumblings of ATX getting axed I went with Drake. While Drake is very good I really miss the forms based approach and the availability of about any form you can imagine. I am going to quit worrying about whether ATX will be around and just get the most from the program while it is still here. I can also say that ATX does a better job in many areas than Drake. On the flip side Drake support is second to none.

ChrisCPA

While Drake is very good I really miss the forms based approach and the availability of about any form you can imagine.

I can also say that ATX does a better job in many areas than Drake. ChrisCPA

ChrisCPA,

You mentioned the forms base (which I understand) and you also mentioned about any form you can imagine. What forms do you mean that ATX has and Drake does not.

Also, what other areas does ATX do a better job?

We used Drake one year, and I have to agree they have excellent support. They have the forms needed to do most income tax returns. However, they do not have the payroll forms (941, 940, W-2, 1099, etc.) and they do not have unusual forms like the treasury form for reporting interest in or authority over a foreign bank account.

I have to say that I agree with ChrisCPA's attitude. I think that I will probably go ahead and renew before the deadline to get the discount. I have not seen anything that I like better, and even if Mel comes up with a program in time, I will probably run both programs the first year his is out.

ATX will import a spreadsheet.

I would really like to know how to do this. With a Sch D form open I scanned the Returns, Edit, Tools, etc menus but the closest I came was the "Accounting Import" which did not seam to allow one to import a spreadsheet with stock trade information.

Care to give me a hint how to do this?

Much appreciated.

ATX will not import the information directly into the Sch D.

What it will do is allow you to create your own worksheet in Excel and import it to ATX as a master form which can be added to any return.

It will also allow you to create a spreadsheet within a return which can be exported to Excel.

I would really like to know how to do this. With a Sch D form open I scanned the Returns, Edit, Tools, etc menus but the closest I came was the "Accounting Import" which did not seam to allow one to import a spreadsheet with stock trade information.

Care to give me a hint how to do this?

Much appreciated.

I'd like to know why you switched from Ultra Tax? Their tech support is excellent. Drake, from why I understand, does not have a toll free number for tech support - and I depend on tech support all season long. I personally feel that UlraTax is very similar to Lacerte (I have seen demos).

I'm a five year user of Ultra Tax and at this point I refuse to switch-I came in when MicroVision sold out to them

They way I figure it - saving due to price alone is not worth switching - UT produces a quality product, tech support has never turned me down, it has features very much like Prosystemfx without paying fx price.

What payroll reporting software are you using (or were using) when you used Drake? I need to do 941, W-2, ect. I am looking at Intellitax, but they don't do any payroll forms. ATX pricing is very high for just the payroll forms. Anyone find something they really like?

What payroll reporting software are you using (or were using) when you used Drake? I need to do 941, W-2, ect. I am looking at Intellitax, but they don't do any payroll forms. ATX pricing is very high for just the payroll forms. Anyone find something they really like?

Drake has CWU (Client Write-Up) that will provide for live and after the fact payroll processing. Details are at http://www.drakesoftware.com/Products/ClientWriteUp.aspx. Its included with their tax prep software.

If memory serves me correctly from the year it debuted when our firm was still using Drake and ATX Zillion Forms (now using ATX TTO) its $400.00 per year (price not on web) if you don't have the Drake Tax Prep software.