ATX Community

Quickbooks questions

cientax

Is it possible to download ALL files at once from QB to CD without having to download each file sepatately? Can someone guide me through this if it's possible? I need help ASAP

Also, are all ATX programs compatible with VISTA? I will be getting new computer in next few days and will be moving or trying to move all ATX progams from 1999 - 2007 to the new computer. Anyone have any advice on this issue because it would be greatly appreaciated. I think this computer is about to DIE or be killed.

Any suggestions on what operating system to use that would be compatible with the above mentioned programs would also be helpful and I am also thinking of dual monitors.

Is it possible to download ALL files from QB without having to download each file sepatately? Can someone guide me through it if possible? Thanks for your help.

If you are asking about getting your updates from QB, you can click or unclick the updates you don't wish. I believe the only one that you have to download is the maintenace update.

Maribeth

Is it possible to download ALL files at once from QB to CD without having to download each file sepatately? Can someone guide me through this if it's possible? I need help ASAP

Also, are all ATX programs compatible with VISTA? I will be getting new computer in next few days and will be moving or trying to move all ATX progams from 1999 - 2007 to the new computer. Anyone have any advice on this issue because it would be greatly appreaciated. I think this computer is about to DIE or be killed.

Any suggestions on what operating system to use that would be compatible with the above mentioned programs would also be helpful and I am also thinking of dual monitors.

I'd strongly recommend that you consider getting XP Pro -- it's still available, you just have to ask for it. There are some serious compatibility problems with Vista, both in terms of old software (QB, for example, won't run pre-2007 versions on Vista, I've been told) and in terms of printer drivers and other peripherals.

So far as "downloading" QB to CD's -- for what purpose? Updates? Archive files? Transfer to other machines? Need to understand your query better before we can answer. Sometimes what one wants to do is so clear _internally_ that one doesn't notice that the question could be read about five different ways.... (Ask me how I know this! ;) )

Catherine

I'd strongly recommend that you consider getting XP Pro -- it's still available, you just have to ask for it. There are some serious compatibility problems with Vista, both in terms of old software (QB, for example, won't run pre-2007 versions on Vista, I've been told) and in terms of printer drivers and other peripherals.

So far as "downloading" QB to CD's -- for what purpose? Updates? Archive files? Transfer to other machines? Need to understand your query better before we can answer. Sometimes what one wants to do is so clear _internally_ that one doesn't notice that the question could be read about five different ways.... (Ask me how I know this! ;) )

Catherine

Yes, I want to download to CD so that I can transfer to new computer. Or do I have to download to CD to make the transfer. I am illiterate when it comes to doing something this complicated. I plan on buying new computer either today or tomorrow because this one is about to die on me or I'm going to kill it but I need to move QB and all years 1999 - 2007 of ATX files over without losing any data.

Find a computer supplier that will put XP Pro on your new computer. Vista will be a nightmare in your situation. Then find a competent computer guru in your area to help with the migration to your new system. Having him do that for you will be well worth whatever price he charges.

Vista will die of it own weight in about 2 more years.

These recommendations are from first hand experience.

Yes, I want to download to CD so that I can transfer to new computer. Or do I have to download to CD to make the transfer. I am illiterate when it comes to doing something this complicated. I plan on buying new computer either today or tomorrow because this one is about to die on me or I'm going to kill it but I need to move QB and all years 1999 - 2007 of ATX files over without losing any data.

If you are asking about downloading the data from your old machine, you can transfer the files a number of ways. Back them up or copy them to CD and then copy them onto the new machine. Transfer them via a network. Use one of the programs out there like laplink and link the machines together.

If you are asking about the software. I am not sure if you can download the files from Intuit or not. But you can not copy them from your old machine to the new machine, you must install the software from the original CD provided by Intuit, which I presume you have. This is primarily due a the structure of Windows.

Note that when installing (most but not all) software to Windows 95, 98, XP or Vista, the installation software creates numerous entries into the Windows Registry. Copy the software folder from your old machine will not create any of these entries and thus your software will not run. There are a few programs out there there that do not install anything into the registry, but they are few and far between. These programs are more portable, like the old DOS software.

One other option is to purchase a migration software. I already mentioned laplink whiich makes PCMover above, but there are a couple of others out there as well, such as Acronis Migrate Easy, Norton Ghost, and a few others I can't remember the name of. Note that each has different features and you need to be careful using these as they could also transfer settings from the old machine and make the new one slow, unstable or possibly unusable.

Lastly, I agree with Jack. Stay away from Vista if at all possible. Old software will not run or not run properly. And Vista has had so many problems since its release. It is todays Windows ME, a previous operating system fiasco.

By now you've read some of the (excellent) other posts. I back them up completely -- you should find a good computer geek in your area and pay him/her/them to port all your applications and files. It will be _seriously_ worth the money.

When I bought this computer two seasons ago (after my old one tried to die three weeks before the end of tax season!!), I spent two and a half _weeks_ -- full-time -- setting this machine up properly (myself), documenting what I'd done (so I could undo/redo as needed), and dealing with incidental crises as they occurred (a RAID driver that wasn't what I'd wanted that needed replacing, an incompatibility with an older printer needing driver patches... nothing major, just "icky").

And unlike your situation, I _am_ computer literate. I installed a RAID 1 mirror system, partitioned the hard drive into 8 sections, I've even been bold enough (or stupid enough, some would say) to go in and edit the registry on occasion. And it still took over two weeks of tearing my hair out.

Please, for your data's safety and your own sanity, get someone else to transfer your applications and data. Why do people come to us to do their taxes? Because we're professionals who know the in's and out's. We mainly are not hardware geeks (except for weirdos like me, but I was an engineer before I turned to taxes and accounting; now I'm a "money engineer"). See the parallel?

Catherine

It is not only a matter of whether you know enough to transfer your data, but how efficient it is for you to spend your time doing it. I am pretty geeky, but when it comes to the office computers I find it more efficient for me to do enough tax returns to pay the professionals to come in and do the grunt work on our network. They charge more per hour than I do, but they can troubleshoot and fix a problem faster than I can and any time I am working on hardware/software issues is time that I am not working on taxes and accounting - the things that I earn my living doing.

BTW, I do not offer this as fact, but I read somewhere the other day that XP is only going to be available until June, then Microsoft is going to insist that computer sellers go to Vista. This might not affect your local computer seller, but probably will affect the biggies like Dell and HP. If you do have to go the Vista route, get as much RAM memory as you can - Vista is a hog when it comes to RAM.

This is a little off topic, but I keep hearing that Apple is going to release an operating system that will run every Microsoft Office application. Is this true? As soon as Apple can run my tax programs and my MS Office Suite, I am willing to switch. I am two years away from upgrading all my computers, and would love to give apple a shot, but not until I can use Excel on it.

Is ATX compatable with Apple? Drake? Taxslayer? Thompson Ultra Tax? or has Bill Gates won on the Tax Prep industry?

Tom

Lodi, CA

This is a little off topic, but I keep hearing that Apple is going to release an operating system that will run every Microsoft Office application. Is this true? As soon as Apple can run my tax programs and my MS Office Suite, I am willing to switch. I am two years away from upgrading all my computers, and would love to give apple a shot, but not until I can use Excel on it.

Is ATX compatable with Apple? Drake? Taxslayer? Thompson Ultra Tax? or has Bill Gates won on the Tax Prep industry?

Tom

Lodi, CA

If you here anything about the MAC OS running all the Windows software, and being sold as a stand alone operating system POST IT! WINDOWS SUCKS!