ATX Community

Hit 100 Posts!

RJM

Yes Catherine - You now qualify to be offered a bribe by Joel. He really is NOT working to avoid the appearance of possible impropriety! (if he is elected, please remind me to ask for a change of venue!)

zeke

Just trying to be as competent as every other politician. Wondering if I should reread both the CPA and Attorney ethics Rules, that every lawyer that turns politician has forgotten? Nah, just took an ethics course and wel its all BS, nobody really does that. do they?

lol

So what do you want for your vote? (JK)

>>its all BS, nobody really does that. do they?<<

I do.

Ok I was trying to be funny, But I will be serious for a moment. I hold my ethics in high standing. When I don't know if something is against the Rules of Ethics, I call my Bar and run the question by them. Good thing, is I rarely need to do this as I do understand and do follow the Rules of Ethics religiously (can't say the same for many of my brethren in law). And, I have even taught ethics to accountants (did an in-house course in a CPA firm I worked at years ago).

I also can't tell you, how often I get clients that want to know how to do something illegal and get away with it by getting my advice as an attorney. If I can't get them to understand that something is a crime or unethical and that I can not participate in such an act by giving advice, I have terminated the conversation and essentially thrown them out of my office.

And as I tell my clients, friends and family, ethics and morals goes beyond the law. You have to wake up every morning, and look in that mirror and like who you are and what you have done on this earth. I personally want to be able to look at myself in that mirror and like who I see.

So now I am off my soapbox.

I was born and raised in Cook County during the tenure of the first Daley. Vote early and often. Joel, how was the second Daley?

In a lot of ways I think he was and is a better Mayor and politician than his father. He did have more limitations though. Different times, more eyes and less chance to be corrupt. And he never had the power his father had, because of when he became Mayor.

I was born and raised in Cook County during the tenure of the first Daley. Vote early and often. Joel, how was the second Daley?

When my son was little, he used to go with both me and his father to vote, and then usually he would go with both my parents when they voted. I always told everyone I was raising him to be a good Democrat - vote early, and vote often! :lol:

When my son was little, he used to go with both me and his father to vote, and then usually he would go with both my parents when they voted. I always told everyone I was raising him to be a good Democrat - vote early, and vote often! :lol:

I vote under several names! I think most of them are dead now too.

And wonder how it will be when I move to Vegas. After all the mayor there, used to be mobster hitman, Giancono's attorney, so politics should be fun. Maybe I will run for office there, rather than Judge here. After all no-one here has voted for me yet, and mob politics has to be much more profitable.

>>vote early, and vote often<<

Come on, folks. Voting is SO last century.

Nowadays the Party uses a sophisticated three-step system. First there is the media campaign to prepare us for the pre-selected result. Then key up-and-coming local Officials perform some electronic mumbo-jumbo. Finally, the Judges pronounce everything to be well and good.

>>vote early, and vote often<<

Come on, folks. Voting is SO last century.

Nowadays the Party uses a sophisticated three-step system. First there is the media campaign to prepare us for the pre-selected result. Then key up-and-coming local Officials perform some electronic mumbo-jumbo. Finally, the Judges pronounce everything to be well and good.

Very good! But, your omitted the ubiquitous talking heads forever explaining why.

z

"and mob politics has to be much more profitable. "

How could anything be more rewarding than the pleasure of our company??

z

Yes, but I am apparently not getting any votes here.

Maybe I can self appoint myself as Judge!.

Hmm wonder what Eric would say about that?

Ok, just call me Judge Roy Bean.

But, if you're our judge, Joel, who will be our lawyer? Any other lawyers out there to represent us in front of Judge Joel?

We can make this an informal court and allow Pro Se representation (for those that don't know Pro Se is a Latin adjective meaning "for self", that is applied to someone who represents himself or herself without a lawyer in a court proceeding).

Anyone who acts Pro Se needs to be careful not to make the mistake made by the accused convenience store robber who was representing himself in a Virginia court a few years ago. He was cross-examining the investigating officer, who repeatedly referred to the store clerk as "the witness" during his testimony Finally, the exaperated defendant/lawyer genius said to the officer "What's this you keep saying about a WITNESS. There wasn't anybody there but the cashier and me!"

We can make this an informal court and allow Pro Se representation (for those that don't know Pro Se is a Latin adjective meaning "for self", that is applied to someone who represents himself or herself without a lawyer in a court proceeding).

I always heard that anyone who represented himself had a fool for a client.

:read: