ATX Community

Please confirm for me - Roth IRA earnings pulled early for home purchase

BulldogTom

TP is a 20 something professional.   Parents started a Roth IRA for him when he worked in the family business as a child 15 years ago.   Used all the contributions to the Roth IRA to pay for college.   Now in his later 20s and is looking to purchase his first home.   Wants to know if he can pull the earnings from his Roth IRA for the down payment.

I say yes,  but only 10K, even though there are no contributions left to pull from.

Please confirm.   I think I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.   Appreciate you.

Tom
Longview, TX

My son did that several years ago when the limit was $4000.  It made a huge difference and he is now set with real estate.  I'm not sure of any requirement that the 10% penalty exemption is restricted to contributions.  It seems a bit confusing to have exceptions but not for earnings, too.  I did not look at IRC Sec. 408A(d), the reference given in Quickfinders.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Yes, because he has had the account for at least 5 years, he can withdraw up to $10K penalty free under that exclusion as long as he meets the requirements for a first-time home buyer. 

Thank you Judy.   That is how I saw it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a rule.

Tom
Longview, TX