ATX Community

IRS IS RAMPING UP

mcb39

IRS quickly moves forward with taxpayer service improvements; 4,000 hired to provide more help to people during 2023 tax season on phones

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service announced today significant progress to prepare for the 2023 tax filing season as the agency passed a milestone of hiring 4,000 new customer service representatives to help answer phones and provide other services.

These assistors have been hired over the last several months and are being trained to provide help to taxpayers, including answering phone questions. This is part of a much wider IRS improvement effort tied to the Inflation Reduction Act funding approved in August. The IRS continues working hard on implementing the landmark 10-year legislation, and updates on other improvement areas will be provided in the near future.

• Like 2

How much help are these quickly trained people going to be?  What we have learned over many years, they are going to have to answer questions that we don't know the answers too.  I find that this announcement by the IRS holds out little hope.  I want to think that I am wrong.

• Like 5

I can't help but think all the EIPs and ACTC caused much of the phone misery.  And Congress deciding to exempt $10,200 of unemployment from tax DURING tax season, whoo boy. 😩  Not saying they will have more time without those happening, but they will have more time without those happening.  Everything will be smooth sailing now.  /s 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1