ATX Community

Non Filer Backlog

Lee B

I attended on 1 Hour online CPE class this morning where Nina Olson, the former National Taxpayer Advocate was the main presenter. One thing she said really caught my attention,

that the IRS has a current Backlog of 10 Million Non Filers waiting to be processed.       Unbelievable!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I believe it.  They are backlogged, period.  It was not always great pre pandemic, but pandemic will take years to get past.  Personally "waiting" on a deceased filer's 2020 return to be processed...

---

So many entities struggle to get caught up, and are still falling behind.  Even if there were enough skilled workers who returned, there is not yet enough (maybe not for a long time) ready to step in to replace those who moved on, or to actually add to the number of folks processing/working.

• Like 2

Us boomers have not done a great job of raising those who follow.  Also, we are just getting farther and farther from the greatest generation...  There is hope, like always, at least if we try to make a difference in our own circles and trust that those folks will build their own positive circle.  Politics aside, folks like Mike Rowe, and creating more trades people, and showing the pride in being in the trades, may turn things around.  I am a product of shop classes in MIDDLE school, and actual job training in high school.  I was a paid mechanic at age 14, and GED'd out of HS to work full time at 16. I eventually taught myself computer programming so I did not have to rely on what I could produce, every hour, spinning wrenches, or how/if I could shortcut book time.  (It was great when I was contracted for a specific race team though, since it was not hourly rate.)

If we can make trades strong and proud again, the the white collar jobs will follow.  Not everyone can work at home in their PJ's.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, cbslee said:

The retirement of baby boomers is significantly impacting many professions, including accountants, family practice doctors, dental hygienists, veterinarians etc etc etc.

Both our family practice Doctor and our Ophthalmologist have retired in the past two years; both relatively young men.  In my practice, I am seeing more and more clients opting for early retirement as well.  Some have a side line; some just want out.  (Of course, some of them want their wives to continue working and carry health insurance); not always a happy situation.  On the other end of the spectrum are those of us who have no plans to ever retire until absolutely necessary.  Huge retirement plans are fueling some of this; some just think they have enough wealth accumulated.  I am finding myself asked to help with more financial planning than ever before.  I have had some clients lose thousands by following careless advice from their professional financial planners.  There appears to be a severe lack of work ethics in some of the generation that is currently moving into the work force.  On the other hand, I have grandchildren making more money than we ever dreamed possible when we were their age and with only trade school educations.  I don't know the answers, so I just quietly and happily continue to build my cushion and hope that we never have to use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, cbslee said:

I attended on 1 Hour online CPE class this morning where Nina Olson, the former National Taxpayer Advocate was the main presenter. One thing she said really caught my attention,

that the IRS has a current Backlog of 10 Million Non Filers waiting to be processed.       Unbelievable!

Were you on the Eric Green class? I was there, too, and heard the same information.

• Like 2