ATX Community

Partial SS and Med withheld??

M7047

Have a client that had social security and medicare taxes withheld on only 2158.00 of their 59000.00 wages. Of course they didn't notice it throughout the year. Do I file 8919 on the difference and how do we make sure the company's part was taken care of?

3 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I would think the first step is for the client to get an explanation from their payroll department .

He's supposed to be doing that today. I'm just concerned with the due date being so close, if they have to make up the missed amounts on the return, they're not going to have it.

They noticed the increased net and spent it.  Employees always question a penny less than expected, and rarely question increased net until tax time.

In any case, the employer will eventually get dunned for their part of any underpayment and the employee is responsible for their underpayment (even if employer error or omission).  If the person likes their job, file and pay and let the irs deal with the employer. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

They noticed the increased net and spent it.  Employees always question a penny less than expected, and rarely question increased net until tax time.

In any case, the employer will eventually get dunned for their part of any underpayment and the employee is responsible for their underpayment (even if employer error or omission).  If the person likes their job, file and pay and let the irs deal with the employer. 

Exactly this. No way they can tell me they didn't notice the sudden increase in their take home pay.

• Like 4