ATX Community

1040-V Instructions modification

JJStephens

Does anyone know if the instructions page included with Form 1040-V (payment voucher) can be modified? I'm not real happy with the line that reads: "To pay using your bank account (at no extra cost to you)..." It might sound dumb, but I'm afraid some of my clients will see that and think it's a painless way to 'pay'.

I'd like to modify it to say, "You can pay your balance due directly from your bank account (with no additional processing fee) at irs.gov/payment or by credit/debit card (processing fees apply) at 1040paytax.com." Can that be done? I've looked everywhere I can think but haven't found a way to do it.

40 minutes ago, JJStephens said:

Does anyone know if the instructions page included with Form 1040-V (payment voucher) can be modified? I'm not real happy with the line that reads: "To pay using your bank account (at no extra cost to you)..." It might sound dumb, but I'm afraid some of my clients will see that and think it's a painless way to 'pay'.

I'd like to modify it to say, "You can pay your balance due directly from your bank account (with no additional processing fee) at irs.gov/payment or by credit/debit card (processing fees apply) at 1040paytax.com." Can that be done? I've looked everywhere I can think but haven't found a way to do it.

Yes, from the "Setup" drop down menu:

Choose Communications Editor,then

• on the left side, click the + to the left of Federal Return Paragraphs that will open up all the available places  you are able to modify.
  • Double click on Federal Balance Due paragraph, and more options will appear to the right side,
  • On the right side, click the + next to Federal Results Section if it isn't already expanded
  • Doubleclick the selection that says "Federal Balance Due Paragraph" and the editor will open the editor where you will be able to modify any of the payment option paragraphs that Drake uses.

• Like 2

There is another problem with this form. Under "Transaction Method" it states "... mail with Form 1040-SR and 1040-V to the address below." Some of my eagle-eye clients are asking if they have to file the 1040-SR on paper.  We told them no because we are e-filing the return.  You surely don't want to paper file AND e-file - that would be the biggest mess on earth.

The verbiage on the previous years' 1040-V doesn't say this.