ATX Community

Louisiana DMV Hacked

Lee B

Wow now the Louisiana DMV has been hacked😠

"A statement on Thursday from the governor of Louisiana, John Bel Edwards, said that his staff believes everyone with a driver’s license, identification card or car registration issued by the state of more than 4.6 million residents probably had their names, addresses and social security numbers exposed to the hackers.

Other personal information to which the cyber-attackers apparently had access were Louisianans’ driver’s license numbers, vehicle registration data, handicap placard information, birthdates, heights and eye colors, Edwards’s statement said.

The number of records involved is thought to be about 6 million, Louisiana’s homeland security and emergency preparedness director, Casey Tingle, told reporters Friday."

• Sad 1

It looks like some federal agencies have been involved in the hacking, but they are still checking. It all sucks. I've had my credit frozen for several years. I was happy to find out Saturday that is was fairly easy to open it temporarily when the car that we ordered last August came in. This will hopefully be my last new car. We kept my 2002 Honda because it is still almost like brand new and traded in the 2010.

36 minutes ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

This morning I froze my credit on the 3 agencies and secured an IP PIN  from IRS 😩

In addition to the big 3 agencies, you should also do freezes for:

ChexSystems
Innovis
NCTUE

I also have in IRS IP PIN. I got one as soon as they made them available for anyone who wanted one.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

In addition to the big 3 agencies, you should also do freezes for:

ChexSystems
Innovis
NCTUE

I did a little online research. So I understand about doing a credit freeze on Innovis ( the 4th largest credit agency ) and NCTUE.

However, why would it be useful to do a credit freeze at Chex Systems which tracks negative details about personal use of checking and savings accounts?

It has been years, but I have faint memory that Chex is used by some to decide whether or not to accept a presented check. Since it has, for decades, simple to self print checks, one MUST always assume you checking account is compromised as soon as you give out your first check on the account. No need to bother with washing checks (or anything similar old forging tactics, just get some blank stock and a nearly any consumer printer.

If my memory is correct, a freeze on checks may stop some forged check attempts. 

"Equifax collects and provides data through the National Consumer Telecom and Utilities Exchange (NCTUE), an exchange of non-credit data including consumer payment history on telecommunications and utility accounts."

I am going to implement a credit freeze at Innovis.

Not sure of the value of placing a credit freeze at Chex Systems or NCTUE?