ATX Community

Training Tips?

gebclsd

I found the BEST training after the bookwork, was to sit down and play client - - -

I would have a few tax returns available, and as she asked questions, I would give the answers - - -when she was all done - - -I would THEN spring on her - -things like - -

"Oh , I got this 1098/1099/W2R - - -"

We spent a few weeks in the summer doing this - - boy was she prepared!

Just like teaching a kid how to drive!

I had limited success with using the VITA training program on IRS website.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=150767,00.html

Gave the student basic info and worked in conjustion with pub 17. Also, tests your ability to explain simple tax rules. Stuff I had forgotten with the computer programs.

Taxes......As Romatic as Monday Morning

I got an email today from NATP, and they have a training session complete with tests for each section available on line. THey cover the basics of 1040, Sch C, Sch D, Sch E, an intro to Basis, and Fixed Assets. I have no idea how good the program is - this is the first I have heard of it. Costs $400 for members, good for three people in your office, no CPE, and includes up to three research questions next tax season and a one year membership to a chat room where you can answer each others questions.