ATX Community

Social Security Benefit Increase

Corduroy Frog

..has probably already been brought to the forum by cbslee, but I understand it will be 3.2%.

Wonder what the COLA increase has been for the measurement period.  Recipients fight the double-digit increase in medical and drug costs, but they never get this kind of increase in their benefits.  With 3.2%, I have to doubt they are even getting a COLA increase.

There are other factors in the economy that tend to balance out the small increases.  Most of them do not have small children, if they have children at all, they are grown.  Also it could be said that most of them own their homes, and are spared the increase in real estate housing costs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corduroy Frog said:

Also it could be said that most of them own their homes, and are spared the increase in real estate housing costs.

But, at least here in NY, property taxes rise every year by 3% to 4%!  My home owners insurance went up over 20% last year.  And, if I can get someone to come out to do repairs, the cost has risen dramatically.  

• Like 1

Both main CPI calculations (W & U) are "chained" which results in a lower percentage increase. So when consumers switch to cheaper products because they can no longer afford what they used to buy, this becomes part of the calculation by swapping in cheaper goods for what we used to be able to buy. It's a death spiral of poverty, brought to you by the millionaires in congress and their wealthy owners.

• Like 3

And don't forget self caused issues, such as shielding income from W2 reporting. Zero SS recipients who could have managed their finances to reach SS max contribution get any sympathy from me.  I discuss this daily, "why are you hurting yourself and your family by even considering W2 "games" before your SS wages reach the SS max every year?"  Of course, there are those who do not believe in SS (and should not complain at all), but for the majority who will claim, belief or not, no complaints are heard from me unless they are collecting at or near the max.

My own grandmother collected for just shy of 50 years... and we have planned for our disabled daughter to do the same (SSDI when I get to FRA) for hopefully 40+, plus if I meet my demise early, I will have left my spouse in good SS shape - by not gaming "reasonable compensation".

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Both main CPI calculations (W & U) are "chained" which results in a lower percentage increase. So when consumers switch to cheaper products because they can no longer afford what they used to buy, this becomes part of the calculation by swapping in cheaper goods for what we used to be able to buy. It's a death spiral of poverty, brought to you by the millionaires in congress and their wealthy owners.

There has been talk of moving COLA to chained cpi, but it hasn't passed.  SS COLA is change of CPI-W (wage and clerical workers) from 3rd quarter prior year to 3rd quarter current year.  The main difference between CPI-U and CPI-W is the weighted importance given to each category.  For example W weighs food and energy higher than U and services (including medical) less than U.

34 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

There has been talk of moving COLA to chained cpi, but it hasn't passed.  SS COLA is change of CPI-W (wage and clerical workers) from 3rd quarter prior year to 3rd quarter current year.  The main difference between CPI-U and CPI-W is the weighted importance given to each category.  For example W weighs food and energy higher than U and services (including medical) less than U.

The CPI-U and CPI-W, on the other hand, are biennial chained price indexes where their expenditure weights are updated every two years, not monthly like C-CPI-U. So they are all chained, it's just a matter of frequency.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/additional-resources/chained-cpi-questions-and-answers.htm

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

So they are all chained, it's just a matter of frequency.

It's also a matter of degree how they substitute.  If chained were used, 2022 COLA would have been 4.9% instead of 5.9%.  2023 would have been 8% rather than 8.7%.  2024 can't be calculated as the chained numbers are not final until a year later.

No matter what gauge is used, people will complain. I'm guessing there are some that do so, but I've never personally seen a true pension that increases year after year. Which is better?  A 3.2% increase or no increase?

• Like 1