ATX Community

Direct Deposit for my grown son?

Lion EA

Grown son going through a divorce. He owes, not being able to claim his daughters, mortgage interest, property taxes, etc. I'll need to cover his income taxes this time. (Just sent him a new Form W-4 for 2024.) Can I put my bank info on his return for Direct Debit?

Do I need to mail him a check so we can use his bank info for Direct Debit? Or, could I pay via DirectPay? Other suggestions?

I remarried, so my last name no longer matches my son's.

I certainly have time to mail him a check. But, we just paid a balance due on his legal bill, so he's reluctant to have us do more.

I'm waiting to hear if the unhappy couple dissolved their partnership in 2022 or if we have to wait for 2023 K-1s. If not, I think I have all of his info now and can file soon.

I'll try direct deposit. If that generates an issue. I'll use DirectPay.

• Like 1

The IRS will take $$$ out of a live account. They don't ask for a name, and don't care a dingleberry who is paying, as long as they are getting paid. I've seen parents pay for kids, kids for parents, one couple who paid tax due for a dear friend having a hard year... as long as the account is live, and there are sufficient funds in it, the IRS is happy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Catherine said:

The IRS will take $$$ out of a live account. They don't ask for a name, and don't care a dingleberry who is paying, as long as they are getting paid.

The "IRS name" comes through to the bank.  The bank may choose to reject it for a name mismatch. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lee B said:

Each financial institution has it's own matching rules

Exactly, that's why I said to make sure there is time to correct it if the payment is rejected.  I've had a couple instances where banks would kick back a joint refund where only one of the people was on the account.

• Like 3