ATX Community

atx document manager

michaelmars

It is OK. The problem I have with the Doc manager is that it will not scan in PDF mode. You have to use jpg or some other format. Pages that you scan in manually (such as workpapers) have to be scanned one page at a time. It creates a file for each page scanned. I am told the only way around this is to buy the scan and fill which allows you to scan in PDF batch mode. You can use a third party such as standard adobe to scan the documents in a batch and then save to the ATX doc manager directory.

Network here at the firm. I have a copier that scans to PDF lets you choose resolution, name the file, and puts it on the server for anyone to access, and does it at 25 pages per minute.

We are going to start keeping more copies of information that seems to be needed in two years and cannot be found by clients. We have lots of room on the server HD. All I need is Windows to manage the documents.

We just bought ArkWorks at the IRS forum this year, so I have only played around with it and not actually used it. The selling point for me (and Jack may know how to do this with Windows) is that I could scan a file in as PDF (or save it as PDF using ATX) and then when I am ready to email it to a client, ArkWorks will help me put a password on the file to increase security, and I can use the software to add notes to a document or to black out items like social security numbers. However, like I said, we just bought this and haven't really used it to any great extent yet so please do not consider this to be an endorsement (unless you work for ArkWorks and want to send me money.)

Since pdfactory will "print" to pdf from any program, I use the built-in scanner for my all-in-one printer, and "print" from its native format (which is mostly useless) to the pdf.

I will stick with my copier. I can scan 40 pages into a pdf file in 1.2 minutes. I timed it.

It will do 40 pages in one file, or 40 individual pages in 40 files, and will number the file names accordingly.

Check your copier. If it has network capability, it probably will do this as well.

Be VERY careful when you are modifying a PDF to 'black out' confidential data, as you can UNDO the blacking out with the correct software. It's best to black it out and then scan it back in. There was a very high profile lawyer firm that got in trouble for releasing redacted documents that were all too easy to revert to the orriginal documents.